Medicare, Tricare, OHC

Too much coverage?
I am 69 yo retired military with 100% service connected disabliity rating permanent.

Should I drop my OHC and bank the savings or put it in some insurance ?
(ileostomy, no cancer, premelanoma skin)

Covered by Medicare first, OHC secound, Tricare 3rd. Usually Tricare pays 2nd because the providers just send in to Medicare and Medicare automatically send to Tricare and that usually covers everything.

OHC cost $407/mo and we don't use it. I can drop it but can't get back in as it is set up that way thru union I worked .

The only reason I kept it this long is because it was lower to start and has crept up. Also I was/am worried about long term care if we should need it.

My wife (62yo) is a health nut and won't use prescription drugs. All her Dr. visits are with providers that don't accept Medicare so I pay Out Of Pocket averaging between $5,000, $10,000 yearly for her only. She has issues. I am not currently using any scripts and in good health basically, am seen yearly thru the VA who will bill my OHC plan but if I drop it they will bill Medicare/Tricare.
Soory this is such a long post. Any advice greatly appreciated, Bob.

Too much coverage?
I am 69 yo retired military with 100% service connected disabliity rating permanent.

Should I drop my OHC and bank the savings or put it in some insurance ?
(ileostomy, no cancer, premelanoma skin)

Covered by Medicare first, OHC secound, Tricare 3rd. Usually Tricare pays 2nd because the providers just send in to Medicare and Medicare automatically send to Tricare and that usually covers everything.

OHC cost $407/mo and we don't use it. I can drop it but can't get back in as it is set up that way thru union I worked .

The only reason I kept it this long is because it was lower to start and has crept up. Also I was/am worried about long term care if we should need it.

My wife (62yo) is a health nut and won't use prescription drugs. All her Dr. visits are with providers that don't accept Medicare so I pay Out Of Pocket averaging between $5,000, $10,000 yearly for her only. She has issues. I am not currently using any scripts and in good health basically, am seen yearly thru the VA who will bill my OHC plan but if I drop it they will bill Medicare/Tricare.
Soory this is such a long post. Any advice greatly appreciated, Bob.

Not sure what your OHC buys you, as it sounds like a waste of money..... but if your concern is needing LTC someday, that money would likely be better spent on some form of LTC policy...traditional or hybrid. If you are 100% VA disabled, you are likely not insurable for LTC, but 70% of all LTC claims are paid to women......so, depending on her "issues", maybe that is worth a look.

Back