Moving to Another State with Obamacare

SunnyDaze

Expert
Does anyone know the answer to this, or know where I can get more information, please?

I have heard there will be open enrollment for Obamacare starting in October.

My question is: Would I be able to say I want it to become effective for me in January as a resident of Florida, Arizona or wherever, while I would still be a resident of PA at that time of enrolling, and until the plan became fully operational?

Or would I have to enroll as a PA resident in October, and then 2 months later, have to change states?

I can explain all of this if someone needs to know why, but thought maybe I could spare everyone the details. Not sure I even asked the question clearly.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

You will need to sign up for coverage in the state you reside in at the time. You might want to look for an insurance company that is participating in the exchanges of all 3 states to save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

You will need to sign up for coverage in the state you reside in at the time. You might want to look for an insurance company that is participating in the exchanges of all 3 states to save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Thanks, Ann. I have no idea how all this will work. Is there a set plan of action I could see somewhere?

Do you yet know where I could find the information about the insurers who will cover multiple states?

Wow...how are they going to get all this info out to us? And when do they plan on giving us the details, I wonder.

Thanks again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks, Ann. I have no idea how all this will work. Is there a set plan of action I could see somewhere?

Do you yet know where I could find the information about the insurers who will cover multiple states?

Wow...how are they going to get all this info out to us? And when do they plan on giving us the details, I wonder.

Thanks again.

I just found a 10 page article that goes into detail about the Affordable Care, etc. Act. The author's credentials seem worthy:

OpEdNews - Article: Obamacare: A Deception

Last edited:
If you buy a Blue Cross plan in one state you will have to replace it in the new state.

I suspect the issue of portability might be a bit more sinister than you have suggested. The FPL is adjusted geographically, so if you qualify for a subsidy in area 1 you may not qualify in area 2, and vice versa.

Plans issued by carriers with national networks that once may have been portable may no longer have that feature.

Elections have consequences.

I suspect it will work like MAPD plans. (seems I have heard that before) If you move from say dallas county to some county in say Flordia your policy dies and an SEP is granted to make a new selection.

True, but are you REQUIRED to get a new policy or can you keep the old one?

Depending on the company. If the company does not write in the new state you will need a new one, if they do but do not have that plan then you will need a new one, if they have the same plan in both states it may be a simple change to be in the new states plan.

Back