Need Access to Health Ins Carriers

Dianah

TX
Hi,
I have been licensed to sell health insurance for three years. I previously sold most of the major carriers through and Upline. I am no longer with that Upline and plan to be independent and selling from home. I'm new to the independence and am wondering if going through some kind of Marketing organization would be the best way to get contracts with the major carriers. Does anyone have an input? Thanks! :idea:

I'm sure this is different in some other states, but in Connecticut you can just contact the individual carriers and ask to be appointed.

A few have good agent liaisons that provide a lot of support, especially if you produce. Others just provide access to rates and supplies via their website but otherwise just let you sink or swim.

You should be able to get a list of the carriers and their contact information from your insurance department's websites.

With the Major companies for under 65 you can go direct;no upline needed. But most will not appoint you until you send a piece of business. So you fill out the appointment app, use you NPN number when doing an on exchange plan and then they will appoint you.

My advice, though, is to check out the exchange in the state you want to do business in and contact broker services for those carriers and ask about their process for appointment. Sometimes they take your app over the phone.

Hi Dianah,
What part of Texas are you in? I know a couple of places you can broker through. The broker will help with making sure you get paid on your deals. Depending on where you are at, there might be other opportunities for you. I know Blue Cross is paying 6%. Email me if you want some advice. I can steer you in the right direction depending what you are looking for. There are companies that do advances also but you get a lower %. I don't do the advances but I know agent friends that need it.
[email protected]

How did you know she was in Texas Noel?

I have one more piece of advice. Lots of agents are using enrolling platforms now instead of carrier direct enrollment sites or Healthcare.gov. They charge a fee per enrollment or a per month fee. Some of the bigger FMOs offer big discounts on these same companies if you put your business through them. Agent Pipeline is one of them. I am direct with all my ACA carriers; the only reason I mention them is that I am forced to use an FMO with 2 Medicare carriers and I chose Agent Pipeline for one company and Ritter for the other. (two of the larger, national companies) Just make sure that who ever you choose that you get paid directly from the carrier. They offer an easy release policy and a big discount on the ACA Express platform for Exchange business. Other than that as an experienced agent, I find no benefit partnering with an FMO despite their promises.

Last edited:
I do agree with being paid directly with the carriers. That is great advice. There are always things changing and it never hurts to look at advice from more than one person. Every person's situation is different.
Advances can be a concern for some people for example.
Scott and White made a deal with one company to offer higher than street commissions to take all phone calls from the Scott and White company for health insurance. Free live leads and emails are going to any agent that joins this company for Scott and White only (you do not need to move any of your other companies). Scott and White will be the only PPO in Texas on the exchange as of now. Every state is different. You do have to be in the DFW area though.
There are benefits to some FMOs or brokers if it does give you something in return. Free leads is huge for me. I don't get free leads all the time but when I did, they were solid leads.
About one third of my leads last year came free from the FMO I am signed up with. I went in and introduced myself to the call in center that distributes leads and referrals from other agents. If it is a referral from another agent, you will be asked to pay a $25 referral fee after third month in the books.
That is why I asked where she is at. It would not make sense if she does not live close to DFW area. I have lots of friend agents in DFW area that offer advice to each other from call centers and networking.

Back