Open Enrollment....???

John Siegal

Hi all,

I am a newly licensed agent and wanted to know about the Open Enrollment Period.

I had heard that it takes place in August...but then i saw it was also listed as being in October...

Does anyone have a webpage...or can someone answer questions regarding open enrollment for Individual Health Care?

-What are some of the criteria for getting someone an Open Enrollment Plan?

-When is it?

Thanks very much for your help....

Hi all,

I am a newly licensed agent and wanted to know about the Open Enrollment Period.

I had heard that it takes place in August...but then i saw it was also listed as being in October...

Does anyone have a webpage...or can someone answer questions regarding open enrollment for Individual Health Care?

-When is it?

"Open Enrollment" is a term used for people just turning 65 and going on Medicare or for someone who is already over 65 and taking Medicare Part B for the first time.

These people can be written "Open Enrollment" anytime during the year if you write a Medicare Supplement for them.

I would suggest that you do a whole lot more research and learn about the different MA plans as well as Medicare Supplement plans. There is a huge difference between them and to effectively guide your prospect to the plan that is right for them you will need to be an expert on both.

Your question only applies to Medicare Advantage Plans, HMO's PPO's and PFFS plans.

An exception may be being made for GM salaried employees who are losing their group health insurance. They may be able to sign up for an MA plan in October.

In what context are you applying open enrollment?

Usually in medical group coverage or retirement plans it is a window prior to the anniversary of the plan. For example if your group plan is renewing Jan 1, December is open enrollment.

Open enrollment for other situations has been explained.

In what context are you applying open enrollment?

Usually in medical group coverage or retirement plans it is a window prior to the anniversary of the plan. For example if your group plan is renewing Jan 1, December is open enrollment.

Open enrollment for other situations has been explained.

That's exactly what I was gonna say

That's exactly what I was gonna say

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your "thunder". It's nice to know that there are agents working the senior market who have done their research.

That is not meant to be a "slam" against new agents. That is what this forum is for, to learn. I for one appreciate the fact that new agents do ask questions.

It is comforting to know that new agents are concerned about really helping a prospect and just not after the highest commission available.

Hi all,

-When is it?

I believe you are talking about one-person group for uninsurables under 65. Every August all the health carriers have to open up to everyone. My understanding is they go direct to the company.

Hi all,

-When is it?

Open enrollment in Florida for a self employed person who may be uninsurabe can have their own one man group. Open enrollment starts Aug 1 and all applications for the one man group have to be at the insurance company no later than Sept 15, the policy becomes effective Oct 1. Agents can write these. The only reason an agent may want to write these is sometimes the one man business can become 10, or you may write Life Insurance on the individual but the commissions are so low quite a few agents just have them call the company.

Back