Questions About Submitted Application

phwoar

I have recently gone through the application process to change insurers. During the application, the agent filled in questions for me online over a web conference. It went through quite quickly and I was approved.

However, when I received the application form in the contract in the mail I noticed that some questions were incorrect.

1) Question about any surgeries etc.. in the past 5 years. I had minor surgery but this question had been answer "no" even though I mentioned it a number of times during the app. I have since added an addendum with the agent that has been submitted to the company.

2) Are you or a spouse currently pregnant. I am the husband and this is an individual policy just for me (my wife is insured separately). I was told not to worry about this - the agent knows our situation and that my wife is expecting (very soon).

I'm not 100% comfortable right now with these two questions, what do you think?

I'm still insured with my old insurance and have not cancelled yet because of being nervous with these questions. I hate these types of applications and am always wary of things coming back to haunt me later on.

Sounds like a Humana policy...also if your wife isabout to domonio you have given incorrect answers and you are post tosties... lies will or could result in canc. Of policy or jail time for y for fraud

Your wife being pregnant is an auto-decline for you. That app is going nowhere or could be rescinded later if issued.

Found that out the first time I tried sending an app through GoldenRule. I don't work the under 65 market, but was helping out a friend. His wife was pregnant. She had insurance through her work. He needed coverage. He was declined. I thought it was messed up that she had no need for a policy, even still, he was declined. Read in to it a lot after that. Saw it's common.

Back to the OP, stick with what you have!! Do not attempt to switch, you could get really screwed if something major happens and they receind the policy and you're stuck with no coverage.

thanks for the assistance. The app was actually approved, but I am going to cancel today and stick with my current insurance

thanks for the assistance. The app was actually approved, but I am going to cancel today and stick with my current insurance

Probably because they have no way of knowing your wife is actually pregnant, but if they investigated it would become apparent pretty quickly.

Found that out the first time I tried sending an app through GoldenRule. I don't work the under 65 market, but was helping out a friend. His wife was pregnant. She had insurance through her work. He needed coverage. He was declined. I thought it was messed up that she had no need for a policy, even still, he was declined. Read in to it a lot after that. Saw it's common.

Back to the OP, stick with what you have!! Do not attempt to switch, you could get really screwed if something major happens and they receind the policy and you're stuck with no coverage.

Has to do with risk of the unborn child that is guaranteed coverage under a parent's policy within 30 days of birth. Amazingly, I had one company approve the husband and child of a pregnant woman while declining the woman herself since pregnancy was noted on the app. Never seen that before, but nothing that company does surprises me...

Last edited:
Rules are state- or carrier-specific on pregnancy. It has nothing to do with the maternity, it has to do with adding a premie or sick child onto the other parent's plan after birth.

Here in CA, several carriers offer subscriber-only plans which can be purchased by the spouse of a pregnant woman since no family members can be added to the plan.

Rules are state- or carrier-specific on pregnancy. It has nothing to do with the maternity, it has to do with adding a premie or sick child onto the other parent's plan after birth.

Here in CA, several carriers offer subscriber-only plans which can be purchased by the spouse of a pregnant woman since no family members can be added to the plan.

I'm in FL. I suppose it would make sense on their part to just auto-decline to cover themselves 100%

I'm in FL. I suppose it would make sense on their part to just auto-decline to cover themselves 100%

If it's a family plan, either parent can add a newborn onto the plan within 30 days of birth with no medical underwriting. Hence, why they won't issue to spouse of a pregnant woman. Too risky for the insurer to allow someone the ability to do that in a situation where the baby could need substantial medical care.

Back