Required Bloodwork? Smells Fishy. Welcome to Ohio.

Mandi

Hi.

I receive my health insurance coverage via my partner's employer (we're in Ohio). We are both *completely* unhappy with the company (Aetna), but have been told that it is the "cheapest" option for our family of 3.

My question is this: My partner's paycheck is being taxed almost $50, every 2 weeks, because I refuse to submit a bloodwork panel. In particular, the tax is being labeled a cotinine tax, even though I am (and literally have ALWAYS been) a non-smoker. This is the first year that they have done this, and every time we call with questions, we are shuffled back and forth between Aetna and the employee benefits line. I read somewhere that a urine/hair/saliva test could be requested, but they have said that they will only accept a "full blood panel".

Has anyone here heard of this? And, more importantly, is there a health insurance plan where I can just PAY the company..and they leave me alone...and when I get sick, I can see a doctor? Meaning, is there a plan that doesn't require bloodwork/tests/extraneous appointments? :no:

Also, if anyone should know of a knowledgeable insurance salesperson/broker in Ohio that would be willing to hear the whole, sorted story and help out, please msg me their contact info, we've had no luck in finding any help, but we would REALLY like to tell Aetna where to stick their required labwork.

Hi. I receive my health insurance coverage via my partner's employer (we're in Ohio). We are both *completely* unhappy with the company (Aetna), but have been told that it is the "cheapest" option for our family of 3. My question is this: My partner's paycheck is being taxed almost $50, every 2 weeks, because I refuse to submit a bloodwork panel. In particular, the tax is being labeled a cotinine tax, even though I am (and literally have ALWAYS been) a non-smoker. This is the first year that they have done this, and every time we call with questions, we are shuffled back and forth between Aetna and the employee benefits line. I read somewhere that a urine/hair/saliva test could be requested, but they have said that they will only accept a "full blood panel". Has anyone here heard of this? And, more importantly, is there a health insurance plan where I can just PAY the company..and they leave me alone...and when I get sick, I can see a doctor? Meaning, is there a plan that doesn't require bloodwork/tests/extraneous appointments? :no: Also, if anyone should know of a knowledgeable insurance salesperson/broker in Ohio that would be willing to hear the whole, sorted story and help out, please msg me their contact info, we've had no luck in finding any help, but we would REALLY like to tell Aetna where to stick their required labwork.

Do the blood panel or pay the silly tax. Your choice. Why would any ins company accept a risk without knowing what/ who they are getting into bed with.

What ailment are you trying to hide anyway?

Do the blood panel or pay the silly tax. Your choice. Why would any ins company accept a risk without knowing what/ who they are getting into bed with.

What ailment are you trying to hide anyway?

There is no ailment. I have never been big on doctors for healthy people, and your attitude is a bit unnecessary - does my asserting my personal rights (it's my bodily fluid and I choose who gets it and for what purpose) offend you so much? In any case, that wasn't a helpful reply at all, so thanks, but no thanks. :nah:

...so *every* "non-smoker" in the United States takes a cotinine test yearly?
......am I the only person that sees this as completely insane?

I don't know. That smells kind of fishy to me.

Might want to research what CMS does with the EHR they collect from medical providers. Goes into a database that is used to determine efficacy and provider payment levels for patients covered by govt insurance.

MIPS replaced SGR formula for Medicare.

All part of the master plan.

Believe it or not.

Mandi, repeating what Hoosier said, pay the fine, have the test, or find an insurance plan that does not require bodily fluids.

Oh, this is a good one. So many issues and conspiracies we could discuss.

Pay the extra $50 "default" smoker tax.
Or, take it to Pelosi and the gang and ask them why it's not ok to discriminate............unless your a smoker or won't give blood.

It should be the other way around. Everyone gets the lower rate, and if you're caught smoking, then you get hit with a penalty. Where's the justice !

Okay, to clarify, my questions were the following:
Has anyone else heard of this practice, in Ohio, or other states?
And, is this the new standard, could I expect this from other companies (it just started this year and we haven't switched providers)?
Somarco has made the most sense with "or find an insurance plan that doesn't require bodily fluids". Yup, that's what we're attempting to do. :)
However, I thought that the situation seemed so extraordinary, that maybe other people have heard of this too?

So again, thanks for the time, but unless you have something *productive* to add, save your e-breath please. :)

Okay, to clarify, my questions were the following:
Has anyone else heard of this practice, in Ohio, or other states?
And, is this the new standard, could I expect this from other companies (it just started this year and we haven't switched providers)?
Somarco has made the most sense with "or find an insurance plan that doesn't require bodily fluids". Yup, that's what we're attempting to do. :)
However, I thought that the situation seemed so extraordinary, that maybe other people have heard of this too?

So again, thanks for the time, but unless you have something *productive* to add, save your e-breath please. :)

Yes, its the "new thing". Some companies do blood, some rate it as non smoker than use the claims to prove you lied. Some do scales and blood pressure checks.

Its NOT Aetna. Its the employer that picks the plan. The employer chose to go with this type of policy. They could have done this with UHC, Cigna, etc.

Two last points:

I would wait til Nov to get a new plan for a Jan 1 eff date. Anything you get now terms 12/31.

And use an agent.

Good luck!

Back