So You Think You're Insured? (Time Mag Cover)

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
I just happened to come across this Time magazine cover over the Memorial Day weekend when I visited my in-laws.

So You Think You're Insured

The cover article discusses various health insurance policies that people buy that offer less coverage than many consumers expect. I agreed with a lot in the article. The author seems to think, however, that a $1,000 deductible is too big. That is a little yesterday in my opinion.

I have noticed that certain insurance companies, even some that offer good coverage with their other policies, can also offer pretty crappy ones.

I noticed recently that Aetna has a plan with a $5 million lifetime maximum but a $50 k annual cap. What's hospital care for a heart attack cost in your town? Is $250,000 a little closer to the mark than $50,000?

It really muddies the water when companies that also offer substantial policies that I would sell to a family member also sell crappy policies that won't cover you for the big stuff.

One time I purchased an off-off brand tape player. I brought it home and realized that there was no rewind button. There was nothing on the box that promised a rewind button. However, I expected one and felt ripped off.

When insurance policies don't cover what people expect whether or not they are legal, people who have big expenses can get #$@^ed and they can't just drive back to Wal-mart and ask for their money back.

I've decided not to promote policies with:
  • less than a $5 million lifetime cap
  • hospital only coverage
  • annual caps
What are other things that you look out for and keep away from potential clients?

Last edited:
I've decided not to promote policies with:
  • less than a $5 million lifetime cap
  • hospital only coverage
  • annual caps
What are other things that you look out for keep away from potential clients?

• Rx caps
  • No well-child benefit (if they have kids over 6 & under 18)
  • Healthy-Check (R) Center Requirement (CA - meaning no checkups from you doctor, only at a center)

They have the $5,000 Rx cap on most of their Connecticut plans. No one offers a higher Rx benefit for CT individual on non-HSA plans.

I went through all the plans, and EVERY carrier has their crap version plan. I just find the best one, the one with no dr.s visit max, no Rx max, and no caps period (except when it comes to back issues). I only give them that plan because I dont know if they are ever gonna need it, but I would be providing them a great disservice if I didnt put them with it, kinda like somarco and the di case he told us about. Id rather higher the coin. or ded. on the plan then give them a crap plan.

Just read the Time article. The guy bought an Assurant STM plan and is bitching because it won't pay for his kidney failure.

Sorry. No sympathy here.

His brother who penned the article claims to be an expert, having spend 15 yrs covering health care issues, sitting through "endless" Congressional hearings and moderating political debates on health care.

Apparently he learned nothing during those 15 years.

Just read the Time article. The guy bought an Assurant STM plan and is bitching because it won't pay for his kidney failure.

Sorry. No sympathy here.

His brother who penned the article claims to be an expert, having spend 15 yrs covering health care issues, sitting through "endless" Congressional hearings and moderating political debates on health care.

Apparently he learned nothing during those 15 years.

Time & NewsWeak never inform - they both have an agenda which is usually liberal. This article is a set up to push nationalized healthcare.

Out of curiousity - I have an HSA with BCBS. In the future I need to do a colonoscopy because they are important for prevention.

Anyone know a good plan or provider that is not really expensive that might cover it? I think the going rate is about $3,500. I think virtual colonoscopy is much cheaper but not as good. Thanks.

Back