Temporary Insurance that Covers Dyalisis?

LifeWorth

Guru
100+ Post Club
Any of you familiar with a company that issues short term insurance for someone on dialysis? Prospect's BCBS plan is only effective Jan 1st, yet his cobra ends in November. He only needs coverage for December.

What are his options?

One option..

Tell him to do an off-exchange SEP at the BCBS website citing loss of coverage on 11/30/2014 as the reason for enrollment. Do it before 11/30/2014 for best results.

Since you didn't give any details regarding his 1/1/2015 plan, I can't advise what will happen on 1/1/2015 when the 2014 and 2015 policies collide.
ac

One option..

Tell him to do an off-exchange SEP at the BCBS website citing loss of coverage on 11/30/2014 as the reason for enrollment. Do it before 11/30/2014 for best results.

Since you didn't give any details regarding his 1/1/2015 plan, I can't advise what will happen on 1/1/2015 when the 2014 and 2015 policies collide.
ac
I was under the impression that to apply for an SEP Id have to go through healthcare.gov, so I didn't check the BCBS site.

When I tried an SEP on healthcare.gov it said something along the lines of "it is too late in the year so you have to apply for 2015 coverage."

----------

Just tried to create a proposal through the BCBS website. When you opt for 2014 coverage, no results are found.

I was under the impression that to apply for an SEP Id have to go through healthcare.gov, so I didn't check the BCBS site.

When I tried an SEP on healthcare.gov it said something along the lines of "it is too late in the year so you have to apply for 2015 coverage."

----------

Just tried to create a proposal through the BCBS website. When you opt for 2014 coverage, no results are found.

LifeWorth,

Yesterday, HealthCare.flub stated that my client was eligible for a SEP effective for 12/1/2014, but when the plan was put in the shopping cart at HC.gov, it was dated effective 1/1/2015. They're not bright enough to program into the software two enrollment periods (SEP & OE) to run concurrently.

I just checked our Blue Cross (IL) to see if SEPeriods are still available. No they are not. SEP quoting/enrollment was shut down on 11/14/2014.. Probably for the same reason that HC.gov couldn't get it done...even with a year's advance notice to prepare.

Preventing Americans from purchasing an ACA/ObamaCare plan when they're legally entitled and obligated by law to buy one, is grounds for legal action.
-ac

EDIT TO ADD: I just noticed this wording in the BCBS-IL Agent's section. It says that paper apps are accepted. Maybe your BCBS allows the same paper application option?

"UPDATE: Special Enrollment Applications
Special Enrollment applications will continue to be accepted for loss of minimum essential coverage, including discontinued members. These members may submit applications for 2014 coverage, as long as the “loss of minimum essential health coverage” box is checked. As a reminder, 2014 applications must be submitted by Nov. 30 for a Dec. 1 effective date."

Last edited:
I don't know which is worse, the awful spelling or not knowing this person won't need his new coverage in January unless he continues to have dialysis in December because he will have died long before the effective date.

di·al·y·sis

/dīˈaləsəs/

noun
Chemistry

the separation of particles in a liquid on the basis of differences in their ability to pass through a membrane.

Medicine

the clinical purification of blood by DIALYSIS as a substitute for the normal function

I don't know which is worse, the awful spelling or not knowing this person won't need his new coverage in January unless he continues to have dialysis in December because he will have died long before the effective date.

di·al·y·sis

/dīˈaləsəs/

noun
Chemistry

the separation of particles in a liquid on the basis of differences in their ability to pass through a membrane.

Medicine

the clinical purification of blood by DIALYSIS as a substitute for the normal function
You're cool.

20 characters.

Try faxing a 2014 paper application to carrier tonight or by Saturday. Follow up with phone call.

Back