TN Approves 62% Rate Increase for BCBS of TN

That article has a glaring error. 85% of Tennesseans do not qualify for subsidies on the exchange. That is most likely 85% of people applying through the exchange qualify for subsidies.

Big difference.

Oh well, the gubmint can twist it whichever way they want.

This is what people should be worried about:

Tennessee insurance commissioner: Obamacare exchange 'very near collapse'

From the article:

BCBST, the only insurer that's sold statewide in first three years of the federal exchange, agrees with McPeak. The Chattanooga-based insurer is estimating that by the end of 2016 it will have lost close to $500 million on the exchange in three years, which is unsustainable, said Roy Vaughn, chief communications officer of BCBST.
The insurer, which has previously underscored its support for the individual market, is still weighing what its presence in 2017 will look like.
“We agree with the assessment of the ACA marketplace in Tennessee. We appreciate the support of our request to close the gap between our rates and medical expenses for ACA marketplace plans. Beyond rates as we’ve discussed with the (TDCI) we continue to have concerns about uncertainty with the ACA at the federal level," Vaughn said to The Tennessean.*"Due to these concerns we are keeping all of our options open at this point about participating in the 2017 marketplace. We anticipate making a final decision in mid-September.”

If they leave, the exchange crowd is in trouble.

I'm not sure who else sells ACA plans in Hamilton Co TN other than BCBS, if they pull out could be tough.

TRH/Farm Bureau has an off-exchange ACA compliant product in Hamilton County (only captive agents can sell). To my knowledge, nothing except BCBS on-ex in 2017 unless someone new is coming in. Which they would be crazy to do at this point.

TRH/Farm Bureau has an off-exchange ACA compliant product in Hamilton County (only captive agents can sell). To my knowledge, nothing except BCBS on-ex in 2017 unless someone new is coming in. Which they would be crazy to do at this point.

I guess I'll offer BCBS off-exchange, and on-exchange if I fool with it.

In NGA still have BCBS and Alliant for both. Really Alliant only on-exchange as nobody takes BCBS exchange plan.

One of my biggest concerns at this point is the line that reads "we are keeping our options open." That tells me that they are not 100% sure they will be participating on exchange everywhere. They are the last participating in my county and surrounding and if they pull out its game over. This in combination of them pulling our broker portal has me pretty much wanting to throw my hands up and give up the on exchange biz.

They are shutting down the agent back door into hc.gov. (WBE/direct enrollment similar to health Sherpa or aca express but can only sell bcbs plans).

That's what I used if I knew they wanted Blue Cross because it was free. They are saying they can't afford to support the functionality anymore according to my rep.

I am also very concerned about a cascade effect. If BCBS decides in 3 weeks based on additional claims data that they can't afford to shoulder the burden of the 57 counties where they will absorb 100% of the subsidy crowd plus all of the other counties, they may pull out of the counties where there are other carriers available.

That leaves Cigna and Humana to shoulder everything in the more populous areas, which they may not be willing to do. Or BCBS could pull out completely, leaving 57 counties naked and Cigna and Humana may still pull out of the other ones.

Is this an all or nothing thing as far as the feds go? Can they pull out of just some counties they have filed for or do they have to pull out of the whole state?

Last edited:
This is an anything goes market for next month or two.
They can pull out or go back into any county.

In AZ, BX pulled out of Pinal county, everyone else pulled out too, now DOI begging for BX to come back in.

My bet is each of the DOI's are begging BX TN to stay remain in every county, as they can't count on the other carriers to stay.

Carriers are reducing any costs possible, cutting ways for agents to do business with them, and flat out discouraging it as they DON'T WANT THE BIZ !

BX will become the sole utility company to choose from in most every state in 2018/9

They are shutting down the agent back door into hc.gov. (WBE/direct enrollment similar to health Sherpa or aca express but can only sell bcbs plans).

That's what I used if I knew they wanted Blue Cross because it was free. They are saying they can't afford to support the functionality anymore according to my rep.

I am also very concerned about a cascade effect. If BCBS decides in 3 weeks based on additional claims data that they can't afford to shoulder the burden of the 57 counties where they will absorb 100% of the subsidy crowd plus all of the other counties, they may pull out of the counties where there are other carriers available.

That leaves Cigna and Humana to shoulder everything in the more populous areas, which they may not be willing to do. Or BCBS could pull out completely, leaving 57 counties naked and Cigna and Humana may still pull out of the other ones.

Is this an all or nothing thing as far as the feds go? Can they pull out of just some counties they have filed for or do they have to pull out of the whole state?
If they were to pull out of the whole state or certain counties (I'm in Bradley) then there are no options for anyone here. Cigna/Humana don't write in our county on/off exchange. I had BCBS in 2014 but because of the increases I went with CHA for 2015 then to UHC for 2016. Both were not the best to deal with but were lower by 30% or more.

Just looking at a similar BCBS plan (S14S) for me, wife, and 3 kids I'm looking at $1,336 a month at their current rate. With the 62% increase it would be about $2,164 a month. I could pay off my house in 5 years with a payment like that every month. That's bad. Very bad.

Back