United's Underwriting

VeronicaM

Expert
What is United's underwriting policy for those who are overweight? Is being overweight an automatical denial, or is it simply a rate-up?

I am considering going with United orAetna? I am 5'5 and 22, but I weigh 60 pounds more than I should (although I've started a new exercise and diet routine from whcih I've lost a few pounds already).

Can you tell me more about United's medical underting policy, especially how strict it is?

Great. I am much skinner than 221.

What if I lose the weight? Will my rates go down?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I live in Missouri, btw.

Last edited:
You won't like this answer, but if you lose a few pounds that's fine. However, if you lose a significant amount of weight in a short period of time before you apply it'll likely result in a decline.
If you enroll in a plan then lose a lot of weight, the carriers typically want to a full year at the reduced weight before you can reapply for a rate decrease.

Last edited:
United is better than most. I had one turned down for their term product asked uw to reconsider as WL and got the policy issued.

I think most carriers are easier on WL and UL than term...

Unless I've lost my mind, last I checked Aetna's BMI guidelines were much more accepting than any other carrier, especially since they will rate up to 70 or 80% if weight is the only factor.

Sure UHC has the decreasing deductible, but you'll have much better preventative coverage on Aetna assuming they operate like TX plans.

I'm actually losing weight slowly. 1-3 pounds per week.

I started the year weighing about 205 pounds. Now, I weight about 194 (I'm 5'5). I currently have a short policy with Anthem that lasts until May 25. This means that I have two months.

I can lose about 15 pounds duringthat time, which means that I will be about 179 when I applyfor long-term insurance. However, even with that weight loss, I'm still 40 pounds overweight.
Also, does anyone know if United's plan comes with dental coverage?

Last edited:
Back