Are We Going to Fight Back or Roll Over?

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
This 0% commission BS is really ticking me off. I'm sure it has put some challenges in everyone's practice. From reading other threads, it seems like we are just giving up, moving on to other products. Is this the right thing to do? Our clients and prospects need us more than ever!

I am a member of several of our esteemed professional associations. NAHU is aware of the plight and is working on some ways to fight back, NAIFA is fighting a battle of a lifetime with the DOL ruling, so I don't think they will be much help. We need to stand together and fight this. I'm not sure if going to Congress is really the answer- it's kind of like crying to mommy when our brother hit his, but we need to get the word out there in every way we can.

This is part of an email that I received from a trusted colleague, on his thoughts on this situation.

"As discussed at the last Task Force meeting, this is the carriers response to the abuse that has been dished out by the Affordable Care Act. 'Uninsured Americans waited until major health problems evolved and then enrolled into individual plans with little or no required proof of the qualifying event.' Wow…talk about adverse selection; here was a great example.

In my opinion, this move by the carriers needs to be brought to the attention of our political legislators, our associations and perhaps to the media. The three of you are members of the three professional association in Nevada; this move by the carriers should be brought to your association boards. After two years, this can be added to the list of unintentional consequences of the Affordable Care Act."

We can't just roll over. We can't accept it as a consequence of the ACA. This is our livelihood they are taking away. I know many of you predicted it years ago, but now that it's here, we shouldn't have to just accept it.

Let's do something!

A link to NAHU's letter to CMS suggesting changes in 2017. http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/nahuw/downloads/WU_012216_Letter-to-Issuers.pdf

Last edited:
don-quixote-windmill.jpg

People who don't roll over and move on will be the ones homeless. Times change and sometimes you have to move on.

Reminds me of Who Moved My Cheese

People who don't roll over and move on will be the ones homeless. Times change and sometimes you have to move on.

Reminds me of Who Moved My Cheese

So you are saying that we have no value any more? Medicare eligibles have the ability to buy/change plans online without me, but they don't. They don't have a clue, just like my IFP clients. I think I am still valuable and I would like to be compensated for my efforts. I don't think it is too much to ask. Everything else we do is compensated for.

----------

**ANGRY AT THE CARRIERS?** WANT TO JOIN THE MOB? *WE'VE GOT YOU COVERED!*

#**COME ON DOWN TO pitchforkemporium**

**WE GOT 'EM ALL!**

Traditional|Left Handed|Fancy
:-:|:-:|:-:
---E|Ǝ---|---{
**WE EVEN HAVE DISCOUNTED CLEARANCE FORKS!**

33% off!|66% off!|Manufacturer's Defect!
---F|---L|---e

**NEW IN STOCK. DIRECTLY FROM LIECHTENSTEIN.** ***EUROPEAN MODELS!***

The Euro|The Pound|The Lira
---€|---£|---₤

#**HAPPY LYNCHING!**

^(* *some assembly required*)

So you are saying that we have no value any more? Medicare eligibles have the ability to buy/change plans online without me, but they don't. They don't have a clue, just like my IFP clients. I think I am still valuable and I would like to be compensated for my efforts. I don't think it is too much to ask. Everything else we do is compensated for. ---------- **ANGRY AT THE CARRIERS?** WANT TO JOIN THE MOB? *WE'VE GOT YOU COVERED!* #**COME ON DOWN TO pitchforkemporium** **WE GOT 'EM ALL!** Traditional|Left Handed|Fancy :-:|:-:|:-: ---E|?---|---{ **WE EVEN HAVE DISCOUNTED CLEARANCE FORKS!** 33% off!|66% off!|Manufacturer's Defect! :-:|:-:|:-: ---F|---L|---e **NEW IN STOCK. DIRECTLY FROM LIECHTENSTEIN.** ***EUROPEAN MODELS!*** The Euro|The Pound|The Lira :-:|:-:|:-: ---EUR|---£|---? #**HAPPY LYNCHING!** ^(* *some assembly required*)

Maybe if they started profiting we would have value. But it doesn't look like thats happening any time soon.

You are about 6 years too late to start fighting this... most health agents just put their heads in the sand about their demise due to obamacare. Very little was done by the agent community. Doctors spoke out more than agents did.

Many of us wrote to congress, and anyone else who would listen DURING and AFTER the "debate". It all fell on deaf ears. No one came to our aid - no outcry from NAHU or AHIP or anyone else for that matter. Individual consumers thought they were going to get free insurance that would be "so easy to buy - it'll be just like buying a plane ticket" and "it will be cheaper than your cellphone bill" - Remember any of that?

It's over . . . .

Another organization already attempted the uprising, HAFA.
They've been very vocal, and yet no changes.

No consumer is questioning our value, especially at the price they pay. Carriers don't want business, so why pay a sales force. And politicians won't change until their constuiency is effected (next year)

The consumer is the only one that can change it now:

1. They pay you a fee, if you're legally allowed to charge fee in your state. Or, the states act promptly to allow for this fee for service agent model.

2. Or a story plays out when millions of consumers get shunned by their agents in Sept/October due to lack of fair wages, right before the elections, they storm the Hill, and politicians act within a year, and mandate commission levels like Med Advantage, or see #1 above on local level.

So, sell your soul and do it for free, in exchange for their vote on whomever you think will provide an income for us in 2018.

Or, do it for free, in exchange for calling their representative, and sending a letter.

So, until consumers are shut off from all rational agent advice, they won't know it's missing. If we all don't band together and say "NO" to clients and prospects, then they will go on the path of least resistance, and find an agent still willing to do it for free.

#AgentsLivesMatter(ed)
#SayNOtoZERO

I don't want to give up! I like this side of the business. I even like some of my clients! I'm not ready to hang up my gloves just yet.

I understand how you feel. Many of us like what we do. We have long term clients that we serve in my case only 6 years in this business 8 total in insurance. Many have decades in the business. We did not give up. We were tossed out the window. We all signed their contracts giving our power away and putting all of the power in their hands. Signing is the only way to reap the benefits being offered. We are not employees but only accessories used to boost their numbers. When we no longer make their bank account look good we are removed.

We know our value but unless that value is appreciated by the one who pays you, if you stick by them you will ultimately be a valuable penniless person. Money is the only thing that matters in this case and the only ones who can wake them up is the client stream that feeds them. If they all walk away demanding that they be given knowledgeable agents to help them navigate the system there’s not a lot we can do. Besides most of them do not know nor appreciate our value until they run into problems.

The only ones that seem to know the true ACA story and how it has affected consumers and the agent community are the agents. It’s a story that’s never reported to the public. After all many of them think we are rolling in dough$$$ Little do they know.

----------

Another organization already attempted the uprising, HAFA.
They've been very vocal, and yet no changes.

No consumer is questioning our value, especially at the price they pay. Carriers don't want business, so why pay a sales force. And politicians won't change until their constuiency is effected (next year)

The consumer is the only one that can change it now:

So, sell your soul and do it for free, in exchange for their vote on whomever you think will provide an income for us in 2018.

Or, do it for free, in exchange for calling their representative, and sending a letter.

So, until consumers are shut off from all rational agent advice, they won't know it's missing. If we all don't band together and say "NO" to clients and prospects, then they will go on the path of least resistance, and find an agent still willing to do it for free.

#AgentsLivesMatter(ed)
#SayNOtoZERO

Just saw your post. Totally agree. My page was left up without updating. so the thoughts mirror one another. Not an attempt to repeat.

Back