What Happens if You Get Health Insurance in One State then Move to Another State?

If I get health insurance in state a, then become a resident of state b. What happens with my health insurance? Would I still be covered? Would I have to switch my insurance over from blue cross blue shield of state a to blue cross blue shield of state b for it to still be effective?

Pretty much the same as before. wait, in the old days it depended on which states you were talking about... so

What you would do is apply for health insurance in the new state you're living in and this would count as a special exception.

Keeping your out of state policy even with the blues, eventually would create problems for you as your plan may not pay at the same percentage for in/outside networks. Some plans only provide out of area coverage for 60 days, and other things that might be in your policy. The best thing to do is read your policy.

So the ACA will let you reenroll in your new state no problems and your current policy may work, but until you read through your plan, no body can tell you for sure.

If your current carrier writes business in the new state they should be able to rewrite your plan in the new state. Of course you should still check with a local broker to make sure that plan is competitive with other carriers in your new area.

Rates will change depending upon the area and state you move to.

Is there any possibility they could refuse to cover an emergency medical bill if for instance I had moved to another state but hadn't changed my insurance over?

More important would be what carriers are in the county and state you're moving to. That is one of the qualifiers for SEP (Special Enrollment Period) via the exchange. Also, was the plan on or off the exchange? If it was on the exchange due to qualification for a Tax Credit you would need to contact them to report the "Life Change". During the same call you should be given options of carriers in that offer Tax credit plans in said state and county.

Now if it was an off exchange plan, you'll have to contact the carrier to see if they are offering coverage in the new location you've moved to.

Also note: that specific carriers have terms as to the length of time you have to take advantage of the SEP.

Either way the move would qualify you for an SEP, Tax credit or no tax credit would be the determining factor as to what your next step would be.

I hope this help.

Is there any possibility they could refuse to cover an emergency medical bill if for instance I had moved to another state but hadn't changed my insurance over?

Possibly. Normally you notify your insurance within 30 days of your move. If it's been a lot longer (like 18 months, for instance), they might raise an eyebrow!

However, emergency care is usually covered world-wide, even if you use an out-of-network provider. And, the new law doesn't allow them to retroactively terminate your coverage, so the claim will most likely be processed.

Why don't you call the insurance company to see if they offer insurance in your area, and ask if they will change you to one of the plans for your new state. If they don't have a plan in your state, you could have an SEP (Special Enrollment Privilege), to enroll in another health plan, depending on the circumstances and the time-frames. Call a local health insurance agent for advice, or tell us what state you are in and we will recommend one.

As for the emergency claim, if you already had the emergency service, wait until the claim is processed, and see if they pay for it. If they don't, call them up and tell them it was an emergency situation, and ask them to pay for it based on the fact that it was an emergency, even though you were out-of-area.

Then put on your "note to self" list that you'll notify the insurance company in these kinds of circumstances from this point forward!

Back