Writing Business Without a Writing Number...

2112Greg

Guru
100+ Post Club
OK, even though I've been indy for a little better than 1 1/2 years now, I've been struggling in this market a bit wanting to get out of the health business and focus on life, so I started looking at captive options. I connect with a major player who shall remain nameless, but their initials are the same letters that is the sound a cow makes.

The appointment process took WAY long (WEEKS!) and they never seemed to be able to get everything needed...meaning, I kept having to go back to the office time and time again to do yet another piece of paperwork. Their competence was always something that was in doubt in my mind.

All the while, I was being told, 'hey, you don't need a writing number, just get out and start selling and we'll work it out.' Sorry, but that's a load of crap. And it's bad business, especially the agent who would lose the business that was written without a writing number. What happens if the appointment never takes place? Yea, you got it...screwed.

So naturally, I didn't participate in the meetings and 'obligations' that I had with them while I waited for the whole deal to complete. I was notified that I was 'terminated' because I wasn't participating!

Hilarious...

They didn't even have the balls to respond to my email outlining exactly why I wasn't doing anything until I had my number.

Bottom line, get the appointment, start writing business. Doing so before then is foolish...and any company who tells you to start selling before you have a writing number is shady and should be avoided.

Hope this helps some other agents out there.

OK, even though I've been indy for a little better than 1 1/2 years now, I've been struggling in this market a bit wanting to get out of the health business and focus on life, so I started looking at captive options. I connect with a major player who shall remain nameless, but their initials are the same letters that is the sound a cow makes.

The appointment process took WAY long (WEEKS!) and they never seemed to be able to get everything needed...meaning, I kept having to go back to the office time and time again to do yet another piece of paperwork. Their competence was always something that was in doubt in my mind.

All the while, I was being told, 'hey, you don't need a writing number, just get out and start selling and we'll work it out.' Sorry, but that's a load of crap. And it's bad business, especially the agent who would lose the business that was written without a writing number. What happens if the appointment never takes place? Yea, you got it...screwed.

So naturally, I didn't participate in the meetings and 'obligations' that I had with them while I waited for the whole deal to complete. I was notified that I was 'terminated' because I wasn't participating!

Hilarious...

They didn't even have the balls to respond to my email outlining exactly why I wasn't doing anything until I had my number.

Bottom line, get the appointment, start writing business. Doing so before then is foolish...and any company who tells you to start selling before you have a writing number is shady and should be avoided.

On the other hand, if you had submitted a piece of business they would have had to process your writing number right off. Whats the risk, that your appointment might not go through and you would lose the commission on that 30/month term case you submitted and find out weeks earlier that your arrangment with MOO will not work versus later? You should be kicking the door down trying to get enough training from them as possible and not biting the nipple unless they are asking you to do something dishonest.

Last edited:

Hilarious...

Also as an Independent unless required by your state most companies will not issue writing number or process your appointment until you submit a piece of business and when you submit the business you would use your Social

Some companies need you to submitted one business together with your appointment paper. Otherwise, they will not issue a writing number. The reason for it, in my oppinion, is that insurance company does not want to pay your state fee if you do not have a business to cover it.

Also as an Independent unless required by your state most companies will not issue writing number or process your appointment until you submit a piece of business and when you submit the business you would use your Social

Absolutely correct, Norwayguy

Yes, Texas is one of those states that allows the appointment paperwork to be submitted at the same time as the submittal of the first piece of business. I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is that this wasn't the arrangement that I had agreed to and it is/was their incompetence that had me going back and forth to the office several times to complete missing pieces of paperwork.

Had they said that they would get my writing number when I submit my first business, that would have been fine. Instead, they kept jerking my chain telling me that we still need one more thing to get the number activated.

Part of the deal that I didn't mention was how aghast I was at the complete unprofessionalism that I had to deal with there. It was shocking, to be honest. I went in one day that happened to be the Christmas party and they were doing vodka and bourbon shots...at noon!

Overall, I'm glad it didn't go through...I don't think I would have been able to deal with such people.

Sometimes it's an issue with the DOI. I've had writing #'s and everything I needed from the carrier but at times it will take forever before the DOI will show you as being appointed with that company.

But some companies (incl. some that are otherwise good companies) also seem to specialize in screwing things like this up and making the agent submit the same paperwork 3 times, etc.

heh...I'm not a prude or anything like that, I just thought it was weird. Plus some of the other agents were complete morons. I tried to imagine myself sitting across from them talking about insurance all the while I'd be thinking "I really don't want to know anything that you know!"

The whole deal was weird...glad it's over.

Greg you done right! If they would have pointed out all that you went through from the beginning then I would feel different. You need to hold them accountable just like they would hold you. Remember unless they pay you a salary you are contracting with them. Like my broker they are serving me to get a piece of my production.

Back