Looking to Buy an independent agency - HELP!

lookingtobuy

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum but I am looking for some help here. I am interested in buying a decent sized independent agency (P&C) but I am having a hard time finding any that are big enough. I am not interested in buying agencies that are doing 50k a year in commissions, but it seems like that is all that is out there. I am targeting San Diego, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Texas, North Carolina and Florida. It would seem that with so many potential options, I should be able to find something, but so far, I am striking out. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks for any help or leads you can send me!

There are quite a few for sale in Texas, I see them all the time. They might not do real big numbers, though. Maybe 150K, not 50K.

Good to know! Where do you "see them all time" ? Is it a relationship thing where you just need to know the people, or are they advertised somewhere? Any input would be great - thanks!

For about a year, there has been a big one for sale near San Antonio, in like the Cibolo/ Schertz area, I keep seeing it on this one site, i will research it and let you know.... but the site also had them in houston and dallas. It's a biz for sale type site where you need to be a client and log in to the site to see the contact numbers

I think it may be "merger network" where I saw agency for sale but I do not recall for sure... do a google search on "insurance agency for sale texas" it should not be that difficult to find

When I looked into buying an agency I talked to many business brokers and they all told me the same thing.
These deals usually occur with an insider buying them.

I never asked about the captive agencies.

There are a lot of agencies for sale at this site.

Agencies4Sale.com - Texas

However, a better approach may be trying to find an agent who is getting near retirement who has now successors. You might be able to work out a situation where you work with him and do a gradual buy in or buy out. How, would you find them? By simply picking up the phone and doing some cold call prospecting.

Back