Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Agency Acquisition and Valuation Forum

Reply to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!     
Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #41
Guru

State: maniacagent is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
I never understand why people sell a block of individual business for 2-3 x annual revenue especially when there is little service work attached. You could do nothing and simply let business fall off the book and earn more than you receive by selling.
I did it as I could earn more with the money in a short time period doing a particular thing with my money ---it was more than the projected renewal and I could make that money now, and I did.

Plus I got the money now rather than wait for it. Plus I knew how much I was getting instead of finding out in the future. Plus I still work the book of business for any new policies. Plus they paid me a fair price and things worked out.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #42
Guru
senior-advisor-indiana on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: senior-advisor-indiana is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
senior-advisor-indiana is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Originally Posted by maniacagent

I did it as I could earn more with the money in a short time period doing a particular thing with my money ---it was more than the projected renewal and I could make that money now, and I did.

Plus I got the money now rather than wait for it. Plus I knew how much I was getting instead of finding out in the future. Plus I still work the book of business for any new policies. Plus they paid me a fair price and things worked out.
What's a fair price? What did they offer you?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #43
Guru

State: sman is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
sman is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! Re: Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Originally Posted by senior-advisor-indiana View Post
What's a fair price? What did they offer you?
Have you ever noticed the few times this question has come up on a few different threads that there is never an answer?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #44
Guru

State: junkman is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
Originally Posted by maniacagent View Post

We used to do business valuation number crunching. $XXX revenue at YY discount rate = ZZ present value.

Perhaps you had a deal where someone else needed cash so bad they'd pay enough to make it worth selling. Those deals are usually pie in the sky. If you got paid, good. I can't imagine something so good that I'd sell a block of renewals for 2 or 3 times annual revenue - especially considering the tax effect of shifting income to the current year.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #45
Guru
senior-advisor-indiana on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: senior-advisor-indiana is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
senior-advisor-indiana is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!
Originally Posted by sman

Have you ever noticed the few times this question has come up on a few different threads that there is never an answer?
I have noticed, that's why I keep asking. I wish I could remember the offer I got about 5 yrs ago. It must not have been too good because I didn't take it.

lowratemedigap.com
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #46
Expert

State: PAins is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
I would be interested in purchasing your book, I work outside of Philly in Conshohocken. PM me.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #47
Guru

State: maniacagent is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
I never understand why people sell a block of individual business for 2-3 x annual revenue especially when there is little service work attached. You could do nothing and simply let business fall off the book and earn more than you receive by selling.
Possible reasons having more or less appeal to someone or noone:

l. Taxation is different....may be taxed as capital gains vs self-employment income with 15.63% tax off the top.
2. Gets the money now...may pay off a debt that allows freer lifestyle
3. Cashflow....gets the money now---don't have to keep the customer on the books.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #48
Guru

State: HomeService is an Insurance Agent from Texas
HomeService is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Too bad I live in TX. Anybody got anything here for sale??
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #49
Guru
Josh on Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

State: Josh is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Josh is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by HomeService View Post
Too bad I live in TX. Anybody got anything here for sale??
I can get you a great deal on life insurance.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
Guru

State: HomeService is an Insurance Agent from Texas
HomeService is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I can get you a great deal on life insurance.

I figured somebody would post a 1988 Oldsmobile for sale somewhere in TX on craigslist.
Reply to Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!! 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Insurance Agency Acquisition and Valuation Forum

Tags
medicare