Looking to Sell My Medicare Book of Business!!

I never understand why people sell a block of individual business for 2-3 x annual revenue especially when there is little service work attached. You could do nothing and simply let business fall off the book and earn more than you receive by selling.

I did it as I could earn more with the money in a short time period doing a particular thing with my money ---it was more than the projected renewal and I could make that money now, and I did.

Plus I got the money now rather than wait for it. Plus I knew how much I was getting instead of finding out in the future. Plus I still work the book of business for any new policies. Plus they paid me a fair price and things worked out.

maniacagent said:
I did it as I could earn more with the money in a short time period doing a particular thing with my money ---it was more than the projected renewal and I could make that money now, and I did.

Plus I got the money now rather than wait for it. Plus I knew how much I was getting instead of finding out in the future. Plus I still work the book of business for any new policies. Plus they paid me a fair price and things worked out.

What's a fair price? What did they offer you?

We used to do business valuation number crunching. $XXX revenue at YY discount rate = ZZ present value.

Perhaps you had a deal where someone else needed cash so bad they'd pay enough to make it worth selling. Those deals are usually pie in the sky. If you got paid, good. I can't imagine something so good that I'd sell a block of renewals for 2 or 3 times annual revenue - especially considering the tax effect of shifting income to the current year.

sman said:
Have you ever noticed the few times this question has come up on a few different threads that there is never an answer?

I have noticed, that's why I keep asking. I wish I could remember the offer I got about 5 yrs ago. It must not have been too good because I didn't take it.

I never understand why people sell a block of individual business for 2-3 x annual revenue especially when there is little service work attached. You could do nothing and simply let business fall off the book and earn more than you receive by selling.

Possible reasons having more or less appeal to someone or noone:

l. Taxation is different....may be taxed as capital gains vs self-employment income with 15.63% tax off the top.
2. Gets the money now...may pay off a debt that allows freer lifestyle
3. Cashflow....gets the money now---don't have to keep the customer on the books.

Back