Appointment Setting

DC2188

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
When cold calling are you guys trying to book an appointment off of the initial cold call or are you just generating a lead and trying to book it on a separate call as if you weren't the person they originally spoke with?

I do commercial - If they are in the 60-90 window before renewal I go for the kill. Otherwise I am X-dating them for the future.

HUGE MISTAKE, imo, especially in the commercial end of P&C!! Although I do have a list of X-dates and I contact them at that time I write 75% of my business by switching companies mid-term. Why in the world would I want to jump into a pool of 5-6 agents competing at the same time when I can be in the pool all by my lonesome? The x-dates that you have are also known to many, many agents.

You have to work it a little differently but mid-term is the way to go. I will switch all coverages but usually switch the workers comp at renewal due to the policy anniversary rating date. But being that ERIE is my primary carrier and have the most competitive W.C rate around, sometimes I can save the client enough money to make it worthwhile to switch early.

You also don't want to ask for loss runs too early when working on an account mid-term.

If you can get the meeting, collect their info for quoting, get a better rate that makes sense even considering the mid term penalty well my hat is off to you. Does not surprise me an erie agent can do that. Very powerfull regional carrier. In my market oc and la that it is rare. There is no dominating carrier and incumbent brokers typically dont drop the ball so hard that a mid term quote makes more sense then continuing their policy to the end. In fact its rare the price is why they switch mid term its normaly an underlying reason. Hate broker or exclusion of some sort in coverage. I would love any input you have on getting to quote mid term. Do you a particular approach? Or any tips?

Back