Asking if a Convenient Time to Talk

LOM58

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I was reading a prospecting article by Steve Kloyda, and he recommended the following opening when cold calling:

"Hi, this is Steve Kloyda with XYZ Company. I know you weren't expecting my call, is this a convenient time to talk?"

Basically his point was that by asking, it is showing respect for the prospect's time and not coming across as someone who is barging in to start a dialog.

I can appreciate his point, but to me, it kind of reminds me of people who ask a question by asking if they can ask a question. If you just ask, or, in this case, present your brief opening explaning why you are calling, then it is out there to be addressed and then you can find out if they are interested or not, or if it is a convenient time to talk. Also, if they say no it is not convenient even if it is and hang up, you never got a swing at bat. Besides, when I am called by a salesman, the first thought that comes to mind is get to the point.

I look at the initial opening as a short window with the clock ticking to grab the prospect's attention. Asking if you can ask ticks down that clock. Anyone use this approach or have any thoughts?

P.S.: He also recommends doing away with the "How are you doing today" as part of your opening on a cold call, which I completely agree with.

Try it. See if it works for you. This is the beauty of cold calling, you can try out things like this.

Personally, I have a problem with people who cold call me and expect me to drop what I'm working on and pay attention to them without seeing if I have any interest, but that is me.

Dan

I was reading a prospecting article by Steve Kloyda, and he recommended the following opening when cold calling:

"Hi, this is Steve Kloyda with XYZ Company. I know you weren't expecting my call, is this a convenient time to talk?"

Basically his point was that by asking, it is showing respect for the prospect's time and not coming across as someone who is barging in to start a dialog.

I can appreciate his point, but to me, it kind of reminds me of people who ask a question by asking if they can ask a question. If you just ask, or, in this case, present your brief opening explaning why you are calling, then it is out there to be addressed and then you can find out if they are interested or not, or if it is a convenient time to talk. Also, if they say no it is not convenient even if it is and hang up, you never got a swing at bat. Besides, when I am called by a salesman, the first thought that comes to mind is get to the point.

I look at the initial opening as a short window with the clock ticking to grab the prospect's attention. Asking if you can ask ticks down that clock. Anyone use this approach or have any thoughts?

P.S.: He also recommends doing away with the "How are you doing today" as part of your opening on a cold call, which I completely agree with.

It depends who I am dealing with. If it is an already established customer, then perhaps. Others I dont.

Just remember, cold calling is panning for gold or separating wheat from the chaff. Your job is to get separate out the grains from the chaff as quickly as possible. Its not to be a "super salesman" and put the moves on, twist arms, etc. to generate interest that doesn't exist. You're looking for the few nuggets that actually have an interest in what you offer. Give those that aren't interested an out as quick as you can.

I personally like to say “Hello, (if I know the name) Mr x, I am calling from XYZ, we currently deal in XYZ, can I have a few minutes to explain more?” this way you give a brief synopsis of why you are calling and then the ball is in the clients court to decide weather they want to continue listening or not. It brief and clear and you will know a response quite quickly.

To me there is nothing more frustrating than my wife or kids calling me when I'm busy, I answer the phone and tell them be quick I'm busy, and they say 'oh, I'll call you later."

I've already answered the phone so don't waste the time I've already spent to pick it up and answer!

So since the prospect has already taken the time to answer the phone, or even if busy thought it important enough to answer the phone, why not quickly get to the point in a kind way?

I prefer to offer some kind of apology in the beginning of a call such as what you suggest, "I know you weren't expecting my call," or "you don't know me but," and then give a strong statement or question that reveals the purpose of my call.

I used to ask "is this a convenient time to talk?" or "did I get you at a bad time" or as some suggst "did I get you at a good time" but it all seems to be a time-waster and frustrates the prospect.

So a brief "hello, I know you weren't expecting my call but I work with seniors who are . . . " just gets to the point.

I agree, DecisionMan. The prospect isn't going to know if they are interested until you tell them why you are calling, and the sooner the better. Conversely, if the answer is no, I want to know as quickly as possible so I can move on to the next call. Delaying the former will probably increase the odds of the later.

The only problem with "is this a convenient time to talk?" is that you don't know how long you want to talk. (They could've been expecting a very important call or whatever.)

I would say something like "May I take 30 seconds to tell you why I called, then you can decide whether we should talk further?" This lets the prospect know how long they have to listen to you and then they can be free to say yes or no.

If you think about this from a psychological stand point, you're giving the prospect a way out. By giving them a moment to think, and then respond with "no, it's not a good time." It's called permission based selling and it's not effective because you're voluntarily letting people go before they even know what you might be able to do for them.

If they picked up the phone they just gave you a window of opportunity, you MUST capitalize on it. Don't offer to let that live prospect go, keeping in mind that if they were truly busy, they would not have picked up the phone.

I would assume this "technique" was created out of fear or lack of confidence, to avoid confrontation. If the objective is to sell or set an appointment, NEVER let them go without attempting to do so.

Also, I have asked everyone I've ever spoke to "how are you today?" not only because I care about the answer and use their answers to create conversation, get a laugh, or give them a compliment but also because I get them into Q & A mode which gives me control of the conversation to keep moving forward by asking more questions in order to qualify any interest or potential, rather than let them go with "is this a convenient time to talk?"

[/quote]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is much more effective and appealing. Good add on.

The only problem with "is this a convenient time to talk?" is that you don't know how long you want to talk. (They could've been expecting a very important call or whatever.)

I would say something like "May I take 30 seconds to tell you why I called, then you can decide whether we should talk further?" This lets the prospect know how long they have to listen to you and then they can be free to say yes or no.

Last edited by a moderator:
<< I have asked everyone I've ever spoke to "how are you today?" not only because I care about the answer and use their answers to create conversation >>

With all due respect, if you say you Actually Care then you're probably the only cold caller in history that truly does. Sure, I'm joking (sorta) but asking "how are you today?" just seems like the oldest, most tired cliche in the marketing world and it's an immediate tipoff to your prospect that 'Uh oh... sales pitch coming; alert defenses.'

I use something like this: "Hi John, this is Bob Jones with ABC Financial and I'm calling with a concept that could have a dramatic impact on your financial future. Do you have just a minute for me to share an idea with you?"

Let's face it: often phone calls DO interrupt and we don't want to try and pitch people are already trying to get off the phone. Don't we want to speak with people who are somewhat curious/interested and willing to give us a minute or so? (As opposed to 'Now that I've got you on the phone I'm going to start selling.')

If it IS a 'bad time' they'll tell you and you can be professional enough to offer the courtesy that you'll be glad to let them go and will call back later. I will actually try to schedule a callback time, "Let me let you go. Why don't I check back in the next day or so?" They'll always say yes and on the next call you're talking to a warmer lead.... you've already had a conversation.

Back