Cold Calling Businesses Vs. People and how Does Your Script Change

TheCaspian

Expert
When I'm calling individuals, it's easy to start with my disturbing statement and go from there.

However, the front desk staff seems much less interested at places of work, even though it should still apply to them. Do you find that you have more success just trying to reach the owner/decision maker by asking for them or by pitching the gatekeeper?

I would recommend asking for the owner by name. If the owner is unavailable, then I would say something like: "Maybe you can help me? I was told to speak with the owner, but maybe there's another person here that I should be talking to?" Then proceed to introduce yourself and the reason why you called. Ask for their opinion on who you should talk to. After all, if the owner is unavailable, I'd rather try to talk to someone... instead of no one.

Whatever you do, treat that person as though they are a valuable member of the decision making team. In reality... they are. If you 'torpedo' them and treat them as if they don't matter... they will remember it and won't help you.

Good advice. Even though they're not the decision maker, treat them with respect. But don't pour it on too much, they're trained to handle people like you. :-)

And I find that dropping by is much more effective than calling.

When I'm calling individuals, it's easy to start with my disturbing statement and go from there.

However, the front desk staff seems much less interested at places of work, even though it should still apply to them. Do you find that you have more success just trying to reach the owner/decision maker by asking for them or by pitching the gatekeeper?

Why do you start off with a disturbing statement when calling a business?

lol "I like to eat dirt."

The disturbing statement is a Ben Feldmanism...you shock people into your line of thinking (ex: The average person has less than $80,000 saved when they retire. Do you think that's enough to live on if you live for more than 10 years) in theory at least

If calling a business you should always know the owners name. Before selling insurance I owned a trucking company and if the person calling did not know my name they did not speak to me. My wife basically does the same thing in her business. Insurance is a little different but not much if you are going to call the owner of a business do a little research first, 90% of businesses have websites, look on the website most of the time the owners name is listed. Not only are you more likely to get through to them, they are more likely to listen to you.

I have a website design, and we're building a website for a company that started with a website builder from a company that was charging $350 up front and $150 a month for Platinum Package. My company is TNT web Pages out of saline mi, and I used a craigslist ad to land sale. All in the marketing. I used slogans and wording to land sale, and lots of ads in multiple cities. :1tongue:

Spammer say what?:skeptical:

Back