Cold Calling for Commercial Insurance

ks1017

Im new to the insurance business and I'v pretty much mastered the cold calling for auto, life, and home insurance. I started marketing to business and I would like tips on getting past the front desk and to the decision maker.

Im new to the insurance business and I'v pretty much mastered the cold calling for auto, life, and home insurance. I started marketing to business and I would like tips on getting past the front desk and to the decision maker.

You're new but mastered the "cold calling."

Yeah, good luck with that.

Rick

Instead of looking for tips to get past the front desk, you should be finding a publisher for your latest book on how you mastered cold calling in such short order.

Work WITH the front desk person... because to YOU they ARE the decision maker. They decide if you are worth putting through to their boss... or not.

Ask the front desk person for their help.

"Maybe you can help me out? My home office asked me to give ________ a call to introduce our insurance services and compete for his business? When would you suggest be the best time to get in touch with him so he can choose whether it's in his best interest to work with us... or not?"

Work WITH the front desk person... because to YOU they ARE the decision maker. They decide if you are worth putting through to their boss... or not.

Couldn't agree more. Treat the gatekeeper with respect, talk to them like they're a resource, not an obstacle. Having worked on both sides of the phone, I can assure you that secretaries and answering services often have a fair amount of leeway in how much info they can give you, and the people who are polite, patient, and pleasant to them are the callers who get put through to the decision makers. You're also more likely to get email addresses, the best times to call, useful intel like "he never answers his phone, only responds to email," and occasionally even cell phone numbers. Not to mention info on the company's insurance, if they have it. (The info, I mean. Not insurance.)

Sometimes it's several calls depending on the gatekeeper. "Hello, I wonder if you can help me. I'm looking for the HR department?" (why) "I have a question about benefits." he's not here. "I can call again when he gets in, would that be tomorrow? and who am I going to ask for?" "Thanks so much, I appreciate your help."

the GK can be your worst enemy or best friend, all depends if they like you.

Commercial is something thats very renewal based. If you just renewed last month its last thing you want to talk about unless you got some issues.

When I am completely cold calling (without effective dates or renewal info)
I let the GK know I want to ask what time of year renewals come up, and if they will accept proposals from time to time. If they wont let you through at this point its more often then not a dead end anyway.

You need to make it clear that your not gonna utterly crap on their boss and sell them insurance on the first call... If you cannot get through or keep getting voice mails you need to find out what the relationship is with the agent.

The GK can really help you out here. If the broker is the son in law or they have used them for 20 years the GK can save you a lot of time by letting you know

So true! I have met only one GK with a real axe to grind (listed in the yellow pages under A, she's been approached a thousand times). On Manta I noticed the company I wanted to contact. Not much info there but at Yellow Pages, I located the proprietor's email. If the GK screens the boss's emails, then I must be patient until she retires. Or goes to lunch -

----------

I do believe we are better in person, so I walked into 100 businesses (so far) and introduced myself. Many said goodbye, some said send me some 'information' (of course I had fliers, overviews, and business cards with me) and now am beginning to call those businesses to follow up.

So true! I have met only one GK with a real axe to grind (listed in the yellow pages under A, she's been approached a thousand times). On Manta I noticed the company I wanted to contact. Not much info there but at Yellow Pages, I located the proprietor's email. If the GK screens the boss's emails, then I must be patient until she retires. Or goes to lunch -

----------

I do believe we are better in person, so I walked into 100 businesses (so far) and introduced myself. Many said goodbye, some said send me some 'information' (of course I had fliers, overviews, and business cards with me) and now am beginning to call those businesses to follow up.

I would love to hear how this is going with the follow up calls, etc. I have been considering doing walk-ins for a while, just not sure if its worth the effort and time to leave my office.

When I am completely cold calling (without effective dates or renewal info)
I let the GK know I want to ask what time of year renewals come up, and if they will accept proposals from time to time. If they wont let you through at this point its more often then not a dead end anyway.

First time poster, long time lurker.

Eugene. I've just been reading through the above thread and would like to know more about the script you use when your cold calling commercial businesses without a renewal date?

Latest posts

Back