Cold Calling for Cowards

Cold calling is a contest to see who can get control of the conversation and maintain it. If the prospect does, the agent loses. If the agent does then he wins. I hate to lose.

Treat it as a contest and it makes it more fun. If the agent isn't controlling the conversation then he/she is doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Good point you have here. It only means that for whatever we do we have to exceed the normal or the expected output. It is the secret to gain edge over the others.

You can buy scrubbed list from many sites on the internet, but I have my own scrubbing software.

Excellent, thanks. Just for fun, I went onto InfoUSA and ran a quote. A scrubbed list of about 13,000 phone numbers came to about $1,000 or so. The next step is to run the numbers and decide where your breakeven point would be.

I then checked one website (Scrub DNC - About Us - Do Not Call list scrubbing software and service), and full-service scrubbing software is about $240. Evidently you can download lists from the government Do Not Call site to load it.

Interesting stuff.

Cold Calling is a lot of trial and error. The more you do it the better you become at it. I use to have to call down the phone book. I was shock to find out that most of the people that I called were not rude and would just say no thank you, or they are busy if they didnt want to talk with you. If they started cussing, I would just hang up and go to the next one. WHen you are cold calling, but sure and take breaks and refresh yourself.

Cold calling is a way to get off the ground if you don't have enough money to market - and a very difficult way to get off the ground.

I can put all the agents who have using any kind of cold calling past 3 or 4 months into the same phone booth.

Cold calling is not a marketing plan - it's temporary.

You should close way more than 1% that you spoke with, qualified and set up an appointment with or presented to.

Cold calling is not a marketing plan - it's temporary.

I'm not sure what your definition of "temporary" is.

That "temporary" plan has been working very successfully for me for sixteen years. That may be the case with other insurance products. For selling Medicare Supplement policies it is the easiest, most efficient, cost effective way that I have found to market them.

And yes, I have tried everything else.

We cold call as are primary marketing system, we have added a little twist however. I brings us great fortune and I'm never mad at spending hundreds of dollars per month with "leads." lol

You should close way more than 1% that you spoke with, qualified and set up an appointment with or presented to.

Rob,

I was using 1% to give a worst case scenario. I would like to get way over that and by practicing and actually doing it I certainly hope to get better at it. I've never really tracked it so I don't know what that number is for me right at this moment.

Please keep in mind that I am not talking about appointments just to talk or to drop off information;with Frank's script the the deal is basically done before you go to the home.

What would you say would be a a good number?

Back