Cold Calling for Cowards

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have been reading this book called Cold Calling for Cowards by Jerry Hocutt and it has been very useful in helping me put things into perspective, and writing ideas on paper makes what he is saying more clear.

Let's look at the numbers;

Let's say that you cold call for only 4 hour per day, and you work 5 days per week, and work 50 weeks per year. And let's also say that you are talking to only 8 people per hour, which is a low number.

8 people per hour X 4 hours = 32 prospects per day
32 prospects X 5 days = 160 prospects per week
160 prospects X 50 weeks = 8,000 prospects per year( How many are we talking to now?)

THAT MEANS WE WOULD BE ASKING 8000 PEOPLE TO BUY OUR PRODUCT

If you only close 2% of the people you talk to, that is 160 sales per year. If you are new in this business like me, that should still leave you 5 more hours per day, and possibly Saturday, to do other prospecting or closing the sales that you just made due to cold calling. And a little time to fool around on the forum.

Let's say 1% is the number, then that is 80 sales, but let's say we continue to get better and we can close 5% of those we talk to, that's 400 sales. I would say that right now I'm at 2%, but I need to track it more.

And guess what, IT'S FREE!!!

I hope this info will get some of my fellow newbies pumped up.;)

Last edited:
I have been reading this book called Cold Calling for Cowards by Jerry Hocutt and it has been very useful in helping me put things into perspective, and writing ideas on paper makes what he is saying more clear.

Let's say that you cold call for only 4 hour per day, and you work 5 days per week, and work 50 weeks per year. And let's also say that you are talking to only 8 people per hour, which is a low number.

160 prospects X 50 weeks = 8,000 prospects per year( How many are we talking to now?)

If you only close 2% of the people you talk to, that is 160 sales per year. If you are new in this business like me, that should still leave you 5 more hours per day, and possibly Saturday, to do other prospecting or closing the sales that you just made due to cold calling. And a little time to fool around on the forum.

Let's say 1% is the number, then that is 80 sales, but let's say we continue to get better and we can close 5% of those we talk to, that's 400 sales. I would say that right now I'm at 2%, but I need to track it more.

Thank you for sharing...very encouraging.
</IMG>:)

While we're on the topic of cold calling...

How does this work with the Do Not Call law in effect? Where are you getting "safe" numbers to call?

It is all about the numbers. When you start thinking that they aren't rejecting "YOU", but the idea of a sales call then it gets a little easier to keep calling. You have to refine what you are saying and listen to your tone. I usually do well on the phone because I don't sound like a telemarketer.

I love this, I must say that I like to cold call I started in telemarketing so I have a little lead in that, but I must say it is the best and free way to get leads for your business. I like the comments on this subject so keep up the work guys.

While we're on the topic of cold calling...

How does this work with the Do Not Call law in effect? Where are you getting "safe" numbers to call?

You can buy scrubbed list from many sites on the internet, but I have my own scrubbing software.

I love this, I must say that I like to cold call I started in telemarketing so I have a little lead in that, but I must say it is the best and free way to get leads for your business. I like the comments on this subject so keep up the work guys.

calling gets old...i will do it 2-3 hours am, then hit the field and meet SBO...then rotate the next day...its always diff each day, new person, new shop, new referral

Great post DaWyane!

In the beginning Cold Calling is intimidating. For those who are new to it I would say it takes a good thirty or forty hour before that "fear" just melts away.

There is a book called "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway" You don't have to read it if you do the above!

It is all about the numbers. When you start thinking that they aren't rejecting "YOU", but the idea of a sales call then it gets a little easier to keep calling. You have to refine what you are saying and listen to your tone. I usually do well on the phone because I don't sound like a telemarketer.

Exactly! Once you come to that realization, that they don't have a clue who you are, aren't rejecting YOU, and aren't even going to remember in 5 minutes that you ever called them anyway, you'll be set. It's just a game at that point.

A colleague and I used to take that 'game' one step further. When someone began to turn on us, and we could tell their inner jerk was coming out, we'd see who could say 'thank you, good-bye' the fastest. We got pretty good at it, and would laugh every time we had the chance to do it. It started sounding more like 'tankubye'

Back