Cold Calling FE -- Advice Needed

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
I've hired what I think is a pretty competent telemarketer working a list I've dropped FE mail to about 2-3 weeks ago.

Script is basic, "Hi, my name is James Doe calling on behalf of David Smith. I'm calling because we sent you a bright yellow postcard discussing ways to take care of your final expense, and was wondering how you confident you feel that your loved ones won't have to pay for any final expenses."

We've garnered one lead out of probably 4 hours of calling. Most people have it taken care of.

Anyone have some advice or constructive criticism on what I could be missing?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: If you needed specifics, like total dials, contacts, etc and recordings, I can provide those.

I've hired what I think is a pretty competent telemarketer working a list I've dropped FE mail to about 2-3 weeks ago.

Script is basic, "Hi, my name is James Doe calling on behalf of David Smith. I'm calling because we sent you a bright yellow postcard discussing ways to take care of your final expense and burial. We assist people like yourself in being confident and having the peace of mind that your loved ones won't have to pay for any final expenses." I am sure you will agree that a free, no cost review to make sure your current arrangements are up to date is a good idea. Are mornings or afternoons more convenient for you?.

We've garnered one lead out of probably 4 hours of calling. Most people have it taken care of.

Anyone have some advice or constructive criticism on what I could be missing?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: If you needed specifics, like total dials, contacts, etc and recordings, I can provide those.

Have found the word Burial gets more attention than just final expenses. This approach anticipates the answer that they have something in place and if they don't, then there definitely a need to meet. JMO

rousemark said:
Have found the word Burial gets more attention than just final expenses. This approach anticipates the answer that they have something in place and if they don't, then there definitely a need to meet. JMO

I like what you did with that script. I think seniors can relate to burial much better then final expense.

I'll also add we're qualifying heavily after evaluating interest level.

That's fine.. If they agree to see you.. then you can continue with the qualifying questions.. if you find they don't meet your criteria, you can back out gracefully.

I am surprised that your telemarketer is able to get even 1 lead in four hours with that script.

My first mentor in the business used to tell me that I was "going for the bra too fast" and scaring them away. I believe that your script may be going for the bra too fast.

For cold calling final expense I would try something like this:

Hi Mrs Jones my name is James Doe with the smith agency, I know that you are busy and I don't want to take to much of your time, would it be ok with you if we sent you out a package regarding our life and burial insurance programs?

Ok great! Would you be interested in something that would take care of funeral costs, or is their someone that you would like to leave something to?
yada yada yada yada....ok see you tommorow.......

Generally speaking I have found telemarketed FE to be the worst business to write. If you do write it a good percentage won't stick. It's one thing for a senior to take the time and effort to mail back a reply card, it's another to get into the house from an unsolicited phone call.

I would think FE cold calling would be viable with all the business I've written through direct mail; IE -- you'd think the market would be there equally prospecting via the phone versus the mail, as they're the same people....

I would think FE cold calling would be viable with all the business I've written through direct mail; IE -- you'd think the market would be there equally prospecting via the phone versus the mail, as they're the same people....

I agree.. Agents were making a living cold calling long before direct mail became popular.. It is just that direct mail is easier and can expose your message to a lot more people for the time invested. But, a direct mail piece cannot prompt a hesitant prospect to take action the way a personal contact can.

Back