Cold Calling - Is Foreign Accent a Problem?

Thomas NW

Super Genius
I was wondering if having a foreign accent is a big impediment to selling med supps or life insurance? I am not talking about very strong accent, but surely noticeable... What's your take on it?

It certainly can be. Depends on what the accent is and where you're calling.

I was wondering if having a foreign accent is a big impediment to selling med supps or life insurance? I am not talking about very strong accent, but surely noticeable... What's your take on it?

I have accent and I sell in the south f2f

It's "my story" and I bring it up before the prospect does. No problems at all

My dad has an accent and it actually helped him in sales. People always remembered him even if they hadn't seen him in 6 months. That was F2F though, not on the phone.

That being said, if you had a british accent, it would probably help.

My dad has an accent and it actually helped him in sales. People always remembered him even if they hadn't seen him in 6 months. That was F2F though, not on the phone.

Love British accents would listen to the pitch over the phone and in person. If delivered in person by an attractive woman I can guarantee she gets in the door.

Yeah, F2F is a different story. The accent might be an advantage, no doubt about it. I lived in England for 5 years before coming to the U.S., so I brought a mix of British-Polish accent with me... It certainly opened many doors for me. EVERYONE wanted to know what that accent was and what I had to offer!

However with time passing by, my English side of the accent has disappeared... :-)

Back