Cold Calling for Group

ShanHikari

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Alright so awhile back I went to the library and got a library card to access Reference USA. For those that don't know what Reference USA is its a free resource tool, offered by your public library, that enables you to search local businesses, phone, names, used to include emails before Reference USA took it off to market their email campaigns.

You can download 75 leads at a time in excel format.

Moving along, I started calling these leads for businesses that would most likely already have group health, why call businesses that already have it? Easy from what I've noticed a lot of these businesses bought directly from the company. Tell them that what company is competitive this year may not be next year and by letting you be their broker saves them time to have to shop around. In many cases if they don't have a broker its a simple broker of records change that many are willing to sign.

So far ratio of calling is for every 350 called businesses I get 1 business that has no broker or is unhappy with their broker. That 1 is well worth it since were talking about groups of 25+

I used to work the small group aspect of 2-10 employees and couldn't figure what I was doing wrong. Then it hit me why work my ass off to sell someone when I could just go in and take what's already been established.

I'll say right now the ones that are happy with there current brokers don't bother with, even if you show them a better product that saves them money their current broker will swipe your sale.

Also it seems that many employers have these HMO's that they can save thousands on a year switching to an HSA, when doing so not only does it save premiums but doing the math in 8months they hit max out of pocket if they save the difference.

If that's not a selling point I don't know sales.

Up till now I've been pretty resigned to individual health but as it gets more and more expensive group is getting more appealing. There are also ways to write groups that normally can't be written like a husband and wife company. Kaiser and Blue Cross of Cali both have ways to do it.

I made this thread in the hopes to tell people that you might be thinking larger groups are harder when in fact they are much easier to write. Or just what I've noticed, not to mention most larger companies have already established the need for group health.

Some common objections you get a lot are, "can you email me something." Go for it, its better than hanging up without the appointment.

Number one thing you can do when on the phone is ask for the census of the company to get quotes as well as what their current carrier is and plan. Pretty easy, most companies today want to save money what's it take to shoot over a census and plan. You can figure what they are paying with that alone.

The only part of group that is a pain is the paper work that goes with it, but after you get used to it, with much practice it goes smoothly.

Another objection you can receive a lot is actually getting to the person that can make that decision. Reference USA gives their name, just tell the gate keeper your calling for Jimmy, when she asks why, say "I'm requesting a census of your company" odds are is it gets put through from what I've noticed since the officer wants to know why your requesting a census.

Anyway hope it helps, even if you get 1 group a month that's 25+ extra lives under you. And a side note 350 calls is not a lot it can be made in a day if your devoted.

If you have any other experience with group leave feedback anything and everything is appreciated in the world of prospecting.

You're all over the place. Pick a market and work it. Group health and mortgage protection are pretty close to being polar opposites.

You're all over the place. Pick a market and work it. Group health and mortgage protection are pretty close to being polar opposites.

Doesn't hurt to do some of each even if they are polar opposites. Why not make quick individual health and life sales on top of working the group aspect which takes longer to get up and going?

Back