Cold Calling For Life

Anyway just started selling life insurance and my only way of prospecting ATM is cold calling.
You have dozens of ways of prospecting that don't involve cold calling - you're just not thinking.
Hi this is ___ from___. The reason I'm calling is we specialize in offering life insurance to families in the area. Tell me about your level of satisfaction with your current life insurance.

I'm trying to keep it simple since I'm still learning everything about the business and really do not have a lot of knowledge ATM. Thoughts?
Other than the fact that you'll talk to maybe 1 in 10 dials (if you're lucky), you'll have better luck offering then a consult for toe nail fungus.

We've seen it from posters over and over and over on this forum (especially newbies). Figure something else out - this is a losing tactic.

I have done a lot of cold calling for other issues and find that many people have enjoyed speaking with me. If I called I would want to let them know I am interested in them understanding what they have ans what they could have. Teaching seems to be the best way of breaking the ice.

I would first like to say hello, and say thanks to the posters on this forum you guys have been a tremendous help. Anyway just started selling life insurance and my only way of prospecting ATM is cold calling.

My Script

Hi this is ___ from___. The reason I'm calling is we specialize in offering life insurance to families in the area. Tell me about your level of satisfaction with your current life insurance.

I'm trying to keep it simple since I'm still learning everything about the business and really do not have a lot of knowledge ATM. Thoughts?

There are a number of issues with this that are putting you at a disadvantage. I believe in cold calling so that's my bias. Not to say it's the only solution, but it does work.

If you don't have much knowledge, why are you trying to sell life insurance?

Your call to action isn't going to be effective. "Hi, how are you today (respond), I'm calling you because I'm helping folks cover 100% of the cost of their mortgage if something happens to them and we actually have a program that will let you get back 100% of what you paid if you don't use it. Has anyone talked to you about that before?" Another last sentence would be "Would that be something you think might help you?" You need to hit on a hot button and have a serious conversation starter. Just asking about the level of satisfaction is remarkably unremarkable. What answer could they give that doesn't shut up the conversation. "It's great, thanks for asking". "I don't have any and I don't want any". Where are you going with that? By contrast if you're asking questions like "have you heard about that?" you'll hear a yes or a no, from a yes you can say "great, did you go ahead and sign up for that?" If they say no then it lines you up to explain it. The point is that regardless of what they say (outside of eat dirt and die) you have a comfortable flow to the conversation. Building a script around a comfortable flow of conversation is the only way to make them work. Talking at people or asking obscure questions will consistently fail, especially in the b2c world.

You may also want to check out Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone!. I'm biased on it because I wrote the content and it's based on my experience, but there is a lot of information on there that can help you provide a basis for creating your own scripts.

There are a number of issues with this that are putting you at a disadvantage. I believe in cold calling so that's my bias. Not to say it's the only solution, but it does work.

If you don't have much knowledge, why are you trying to sell life insurance?

Your call to action isn't going to be effective. "Hi, how are you today (respond), I'm calling you because I'm helping folks cover 100% of the cost of their mortgage if something happens to them and we actually have a program that will let you get back 100% of what you paid if you don't use it. Has anyone talked to you about that before?" Another last sentence would be "Would that be something you think might help you?" You need to hit on a hot button and have a serious conversation starter. Just asking about the level of satisfaction is remarkably unremarkable. What answer could they give that doesn't shut up the conversation. "It's great, thanks for asking". "I don't have any and I don't want any". Where are you going with that? By contrast if you're asking questions like "have you heard about that?" you'll hear a yes or a no, from a yes you can say "great, did you go ahead and sign up for that?" If they say no then it lines you up to explain it. The point is that regardless of what they say (outside of eat dirt and die) you have a comfortable flow to the conversation. Building a script around a comfortable flow of conversation is the only way to make them work. Talking at people or asking obscure questions will consistently fail, especially in the b2c world.

You may also want to check out Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone!. I'm biased on it because I wrote the content and it's based on my experience, but there is a lot of information on there that can help you provide a basis for creating your own scripts.

That script is a 100,000% improvement. Nice work Josh.

I'm new as well and have been struggling for prospects but I am saving CC as a last resort. I'd consider door to door knocking before cold calling since its easier to sell anything when you are face to face with someone. But some things I have considered are: -Chamber of Commerce -Building relationships with local funeral homes -Fraternities like F&AM Lodge -If your company gives you a book of current clients, call them to do policy updates. Lots of times you can get them a better plan than they currently have. -Talk to restaurants and businesses about placing "free drawings" boxes in their businesses. -Talk to ANYONE who has time to talk and focus on getting referrals. If you call someone and say "Your friend Bob told me you might be interested in meeting with me." It adds credibility to you and helps make the close. This is only my 2nd week as an agent but in my first 2 weeks I've closed on over $600k in whole life/term policies. Hope this helps. Also, consider a GOOD leads company. I signed up with Netquote, but haven't started getting leads yet. Supposedly, if the lead is bad they will refund you. There are lots of options for people with a limited personal network. As I get more comfortable with the products I'm going to start hosting "retirement planning" seminars.

Back