Cold Calling Ratios

TheManGoat

Hi everyone, I've been following this forum since I started my career as an agent a few months ago. I've been looking over all the threads about cold calling since this is the method I will be focusing my energy on (young agent, small natural market, don't have funds for mass direct mailing, etc.) Now I'm asking for this to not become a debate over the usefulness of cold calling. What I'm interested in is knowing your number of dials -> appointments for life sales. So many of these threads seem to gravitate to health supplements which looks like it is much easier to sell. It it's of any help, I work in Ontario, Canada.

Now I'm cold calling in the evening 6-9pm to residences. I'm with a well known insurance company that prospects have heard of and are generally receptive to hearing my pitch. In my short time calling my ratios are

7/20 dials to reach someone
1/50 dials to find someone with an interest
1/100 to setup an appointment

To recap, this is for life sales to residences and my list is straight out of the phone book. I'd also be glad to see your ratios for calling residences in the afternoon.

Does Canada have any Do Not Call laws?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've been following this forum since I started my career as an agent a few months ago. I've been looking over all the threads about cold calling since this is the method I will be focusing my energy on (young agent, small natural market, don't have funds for mass direct mailing, etc.) Now I'm asking for this to not become a debate over the usefulness of cold calling. What I'm interested in is knowing your number of dials -> appointments for life sales. So many of these threads seem to gravitate to health supplements which looks like it is much easier to sell. It it's of any help, I work in Ontario, Canada.

Now I'm cold calling in the evening 6-9pm to residences. I'm with a well known insurance company that prospects have heard of and are generally receptive to hearing my pitch. In my short time calling my ratios are

7/20 dials to reach someone
1/50 dials to find someone with an interest
1/100 to setup an appointment

To recap, this is for life sales to residences and my list is straight out of the phone book. I'd also be glad to see your ratios for calling residences in the afternoon.

You may wish to look at some predictive dialers and buy a scubbed list.

Does Canada hav any Do Not Call laws?

We do have the DNCL. I don't per say use the phonebook. It's the 411 directory and all the names are checked in advance against it but essentially the same thing, just a list of numbers with names.

You may wish to look at some predictive dialers and buy a scubbed list.

What do you look for in a scrubbed list? I see it mentioned multiple times on the forum but I feel once checked against the DNCL it'll take out 50% of the names. Please keep the suggestions coming so I can refine what I'm doing.

I would doubt you would find much success with only 3 hrs a day cold calling out of the phone book. What exactly are you doing the rest of the day.

Well to be fair I very recently just started the cold calling so it's not bad right now. I started about 2 months ago and right now easing myself off of my immediate natural market.

The afternoons still consist of 2 trainings in the week, going out with another advisor to small businesses and construction sites and being involved in sport/extraciricular activites I was doing before which I believe lead to better marketing opportunities.

I noticed many people doing med supp. selling it over the phone, is it not a good idea to do it with life? Also in Canada, Med supplements is not popular since we have univeral HC so that's out of the question.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Does Canada hav any Do Not Call laws?

we do, I'm not calling out of the phonebook persay, I use the online directory to quickly check all the numbers against the DNCL.

I don't know a lot about scrubbed lists but it does sound like I'd save myself time to have a demographic targeted! Will definitely ask my manager about where I can get these

Last edited:
Back