Cold Calling Reluctance

I have found that many brokers say, "I am not afraid of hearing No", "I don't fear cold calling". Maybe putting it into terms of fear isn't really the best approach to take. After doing some searching I think cold call reluctance is the main term we are dealing with. One company has gone out of their way to point out 12 ways of reluctance, and having a test for them. Either way we are dealing with the idea of inertia.
I remember reading in QBS, some people are motivated my golden retrievers or gold medals. Some people move ass when there is a dog after them, and some people stride after a goal. Some are mixtures no doubt. But knowing what makes us move is the fulcrum to activity and then to sales.

Here is a good article I saw because it addresses the intro which is probably one of the most goofed up parts of a cold call.
Ending Cold Calling Reluctance

Ending Cold Calling Reluctance
(end half)
Cold Calling Formula

1. Very Briefly Introduce Yourself and Your Results.
  2. Ask Questions To Uncover and Amplify Problems and Opportunities.
Simple, huh? So simple, it may seem too easy.
The secret to the cold calling formula is how you do each step. Here's an example:
"Hello, this is Shamus Brown calling."
"I help people to get higher investment returns and I was just calling to see if your investments have increased 20% or more for the past 3 years.
"Oh, they didn't increase... they declined by how much?... hmm, sounds bad to me, but I am not you - is that kind of performance OK with you?"
This follows the simple format outlined above. Very briefly introduce yourself and the results that you provide for your customers. This is one of the keys to making cold calling easier.
The only thing your prospect will likely hear at the beginning of the call is your results. When you are cold calling someone, you are interrupting them in some way. Their attention is elsewhere. When they hear the results that you offer, you will get their attention IF they are interested in those types of results.
Then immediately get into probing for problems, and amplifying the consequences. Once you are there, you will stir up their motivation and desire to talk further about your product or service.
Stop using lengthy introductions in your cold calling. If you get that slightly uncomfortable or nauseating feeling in your stomach while delivering your phone "pitch", it is because your pitch is too long. The longer your pitch is, the more you are "at risk" because you do not know how the message is being received.
Shorten your cold calling opener to just the essential results that you provide, and then get right into probing for problems. You'll sell more this way.

I met with an agent during my interview rounds that said he refused to cold call since being hired and hasn't done it in 3 years but hes one of the more successful agents. :err:

I met with an agent during my interview rounds that said he refused to cold call since being hired and hasn't done it in 3 years but hes one of the more successful agents. :err:

He has some other means of generating prospects. Are you wealthy or well connected? You can do it by dumping money into mailers, into seminars, etc. but cold calling or cold walking is the cheapest and probably fastest way to generate business.

Referral marketing is great, but it's difficult. When done correctly it's profitable, but it requires great connections, consistent processes, and the time to make yourself known as a expert.

This works, but not for newbies to the industry.

It's an NYL agent, he said he would do the child i.d. program constantly or go to the mall and walk up to random people explaining what he does and what not. I'm not wealthy nor well connected. I know a bunch of people from the towns i've lived in... but they're all 18-25ish most in out of state schools still or living off their rents. Not much of a warm market for me. Gonna have to hussle it up off the bat.

haha well lucky him, it's paying off. I want to be in his position 3 years from now. All this "90% of agents fail" I read is very discouraging. But I want to make this work no matter what it takes.

It's an NYL agent, he said he would do the child i.d. program constantly or go to the mall and walk up to random people explaining what he does and what not.

Makes me laugh..that's just another type of 'cold calling'. :D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have found that many brokers say, "I am not afraid of hearing No", "I don't fear cold calling". Maybe putting it into terms of fear isn't really the best approach to take. After doing some searching I think cold call reluctance is the main term we are dealing with. One company has gone out of their way to point out 12 ways of reluctance, and having a test for them. Either way we are dealing with the idea of inertia.
I remember reading in QBS, some people are motivated my golden retrievers or gold medals. Some people move ass when there is a dog after them, and some people stride after a goal. Some are mixtures no doubt. But knowing what makes us move is the fulcrum to activity and then to sales.

I bolded what I think is the most interesting part of the post. That is what I need to figure out. What "moves" me? What's going to make me pick the phone up and put in the hours it's going to take me to get this business off and running. I don't have the resources to do it any other way. I'm not afraid of the phone, I just get so completely brain dead spending hours on it trying to reach people! haha I gotta figure out what will keep me dialing the numbers.

I honestly think that that's the biggest issue facing people. Not so much our fear of the reaction on the other end but knowing it's strictly a numbers game and being willing to put in the numbers to see the results.

Last edited:
I think it's a Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you kinda of thing. We hate to get those calls so we hate to do it to others. You just have to brainwash yourself that you are doing it to help others.

Back