Cold Calling Script Feedback

Tough love, I think it's pretty brutal. The best way to figure out if it works or not would be to try it. I put a lot of stuff up on www.FreeTelemarketingScripts.com because this is a question that is a pretty hot topic.

A few thoughts in no particular order:

-Asking for people by name typically brings up more defensiveness/hostility than it does help building trust. Unless there is a very specific person your calling for, pitching whoever answers the phone is usually your best bet.
-People want to know really quick why you're calling them, your name and the company you work for rarely helps that.
-If it's a bad time, they're just blowing you off most of the time and it's not worth the time to continue to call people that are just blowing you off.

The type of pitch I've seen that works well, regardless of the line (including FE), is

Hi, how are you doing today?
I'm glad/sorry to hear that. I'm calling you today because I'm helping people with X. Would you like to find out how much I can help you?

There are lots of different ways to telemarket for leads/sales and there are folks on here currently doing it, but that's what I've seen work.

For what it's worth, Med supps are probably one of the easiest products in the world to cold call for.

Hi, how are you doing today?
I'm glad/sorry to hear that. I'm calling you today because I'm helping people save hundreds of dollars on their Medicare insurance; would you like to find out how much I can help you save?

Because it is such a relatively easy way in the door there are a lot of agents that do bigger ticket sales that just use Medicare as a way in the door.

Thad, are still unable to see the file? Okay I have pasted it below. I wish I could attach it but I am unable to since i have less than 20 posts. In the word document, it looks much better with some of the words highlighted.

(Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon), is (Mr. or Mrs. Prospect name) available. My name is Samantha Adams and I am a local life Insurance Agent (or I am calling on behalf of _____________ who is a licensed Insurance Agent) calling is to see if you would be interested in obtaining life insurance that will provide you and your family protection that will cover funeral and other expenses. Did I catch you at a bad time?
If yes “this is a bad time”- I am sorry to interrupt you, I can call you back later this afternoon. How does that sound?
If no “I’m not interested”- Are all your final expense needs covered so that your family isn’t burdened to pay for your funeral and other expenses such as bills, car loans, or mortgage?
If they continue on the “No” path, thank them for their time and move to next dial
If the say YES, say ------------Great or Okay!
I am very good at what I do and LOVE helping people SAVE money on life insurance by assuring you that you are getting the best value for your money. I will make sure that when death occurs your family has the money to take care of things and not be in a financial crisis. Does that make sense?
If no- Ask them - What doesn’t make sense about covering your final needs when you die? If they continue on the “No” path, thank them for their time and move to next dial
If the say YES, you say ------------Great!
I have an opening in my schedule Friday at 4pm or Saturday at 8 to meet with you and go over the benefits of having piece of mind. What time works best for you?
Or
I have the time to come out this afternoon or evening whichever is better for you? (If dialing Friday or Saturday)
It will take about 5 minutes to gather your information to build a personalized quote. Is that okay?
Is your home address ___(Give them the address that you have)____. Is that Correct?
If no- Ask them to clarify.
1. Is the house number on the house, mailbox, or driveway?
2. Do you have an alternative phone number I can reach you at if I am having trouble finding your home?
3. Do you or your spouse have an email address?
4. Have you or your spouse, in the last 12 months, smoked?
Wait for an answer? No – Move on to the next question.
If Yes- Were they cigarettes? How often do/did you smoke?
5. Do you or your spouse have diabetes?
6. Do you or your spouse suffer from any medical conditions such as Cancer, Stroke, Heart Attack or M.S. (multiple sclerosis)?
If no, respond-Great!
If yes respond- I’m sorry to hear that is everything all right now? And get details… the more details the better, always be genuinely concerned.
7. (Use 1st name), do you or (spouses 1st name) take any medications prescribed by a doctor?
If no, respond Great!
If yes, Take notes of type of medications, get details….

I do appreciate you answering all my questions needed to provide you with a personalized quote. I have you marked down for (state the appointed date and time) to sit with you and your spouse. I will see you then, you have a good day/night.

Last edited:
Thad, are still unable to see the file? Okay I have pasted it below. I wish I could attach it but I am unable to since i have less than 20 posts. In the word document, it looks much better with some of the words highlighted.

(Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon), is (Mr. or Mrs. Prospect name) available. My name is Samantha Adams and I am a local life Insurance Agent (or I am calling on behalf of _____________ who is a licensed Insurance Agent) calling is to see if you would be interested in obtaining life insurance that will provide you and your family protection that will cover funeral and other expenses. Did I catch you at a bad time?
If yes “this is a bad time”- I am sorry to interrupt you, I can call you back later this afternoon. How does that sound?
If no “I’m not interested”- Are all your final expense needs covered so that your family isn’t burdened to pay for your funeral and other expenses such as bills, car loans, or mortgage?
If they continue on the “No” path, thank them for their time and move to next dial
If the say YES, say ------------Great or Okay!
I am very good at what I do and LOVE helping people SAVE money on life insurance by assuring you that you are getting the best value for your money. I will make sure that when death occurs your family has the money to take care of things and not be in a financial crisis. Does that make sense?
If no- Ask them - What doesn’t make sense about covering your final needs when you die? If they continue on the “No” path, thank them for their time and move to next dial
If the say YES, you say ------------Great!
I have an opening in my schedule Friday at 4pm or Saturday at 8 to meet with you and go over the benefits of having piece of mind. What time works best for you?
Or
I have the time to come out this afternoon or evening whichever is better for you? (If dialing Friday or Saturday)
It will take about 5 minutes to gather your information to build a personalized quote. Is that okay?
Is your home address ___(Give them the address that you have)____. Is that Correct?
If no- Ask them to clarify.
1. Is the house number on the house, mailbox, or driveway?
2. Do you have an alternative phone number I can reach you at if I am having trouble finding your home?
3. Do you or your spouse have an email address?
4. Have you or your spouse, in the last 12 months, smoked?
Wait for an answer? No – Move on to the next question.
If Yes- Were they cigarettes? How often do/did you smoke?
5. Do you or your spouse have diabetes?
6. Do you or your spouse suffer from any medical conditions such as Cancer, Stroke, Heart Attack or M.S. (multiple sclerosis)?
If no, respond-Great!
If yes respond- I’m sorry to hear that is everything all right now? And get details… the more details the better, always be genuinely concerned.
7. (Use 1st name), do you or (spouses 1st name) take any medications prescribed by a doctor?
If no, respond Great!
If yes, Take notes of type of medications, get details….

I do appreciate you answering all my questions needed to provide you with a personalized quote. I have you marked down for (state the appointed date and time) to sit with you and your spouse. I will see you then, you have a good day/night.

When I was a kid, I used to read martial arts style "choose your adventure" books. I would read for a few pages and then at the bottom of the page it would say something like: "To kick Chan in the face, turn to page 37. To turn and run down the alley, turn to page 73."

You have turned this concept into a cold call script.

Here is your script with a lot of fat trimmed off:

(Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon) My name is Samantha Adams and I am a local life Insurance Agent calling is to see if you would be interested in obtaining information regarding life insurance that will provide you and your family protection that will cover funeral and other expenses

I personally think you are trying to gather to much info over the phone the goal for me is the appt with someone who is OK with talking about what I have to offer.

Saying your good at what you do I don't think helps I think it hurts, they don't care, in the beginning you say Life Insurance but then tell them what life insurance is for, I think saying life insurance is enough, also you need a pattern interruption or 2.

Hey Bob, this is Samantha, did I get you at a bad time?

(yes or no) I am sure my name is not familiar to you, Would it be ok if I take 15 seconds to tell you why I'm calling and then you can decide whether we continue the conversation?

(yes) The reason for the call today is I help out folks in (placer county) with state approved Life Insurance and what I would like to do "if it's ok?" is spend a quick 30 seconds with you so that you and I together can find out what Life Insurance Programs you may be eligible for, would that be Ok?

Verify First name and Last Name.

Did you want enough coverage to just cover your burial or did you want more?

Last few years anything major, Heart Attack, cancer, stroke, etc?

Verify address?

Well Bob I just noticed I am going to be in your area.....

What I would like to do is swing by for 10 minutes and go over all the pricing and details with you, would that be ok?

Verify cross street, apt numbers, gate codes etc?

Get all the objections and rebuttals in writing and use them every single time word for word. Be short, sweet and to the point.

The reason I ask permission so much is because I want to talk with people that want to talk to me, you go thru more calls but you get more quality, versus bulling them into a conversation or appt.

Hope this helps, if you focus on just Term or WL or FE, the script can be tailored better, this one is just off top of the head.

"(yes) The reason for the call today is I help out folks in (placer county) with state approved Life Insurance and what I would like to do "if it's ok?" is spend a quick 30 seconds with you so that you and I together can find out what Life Insurance Programs you may be eligible for, would that be Ok?"

This is the equivalent of going up to a stranger and saying... "Hello my name Mike I have a great job do you want to get married?"

I like the opening of your script Thad but here I would try and open them up by getting their interest and then create desire followed by exposing a problem.

The reason for the call today is I help out folks in (placer county) with state approved Life Insurance and I have been helping some of your neighbors see how to avoid making one of the 3 major mistakes many families are grappling with that leads to... Bankruptcy, paying to much in taxes, etc, etc... (major market problem/hot button)

Is (major problem) something that concerns you as well?

Would it be OK if I share with you what has worked for some of them?

So that we only spend time today on things that are important to you do you mind if I ask a few questions so I know where to start?

I don't sell life or FE so this could definitely be better but the formula is there.

----------

Also... Definitely do not say you are good at what you do. That is a huge red flag to anyone that doesn't know you screaming STAY AWAY!

This comes with the way you interact and the quality of questions you ask.

...in other words it must be demonstrated for them to come to their own conclusions.

Last edited:
"(yes) The reason for the call today is I help out folks in (placer county) with state approved Life Insurance and what I would like to do "if it's ok?" is spend a quick 30 seconds with you so that you and I together can find out what Life Insurance Programs you may be eligible for, would that be Ok?" This is the equivalent of going up to a stranger and saying... "Hello my name Mike I have a great job do you want to get married?" I like the opening of your script Thad but here I would try and open them up by getting their interest and then create desire followed by exposing a problem. The reason for the call today is I help out folks in (placer county) with state approved Life Insurance and I have been helping some of your neighbors see how to avoid making one of the 3 major mistakes many families are grappling with that leads to... Bankruptcy, paying to much in taxes, etc, etc... (major market problem/hot button) Is (major problem) something that concerns you as well? Would it be OK if I share with you what has worked for some of them? So that we only spend time today on things that are important to you do you mind if I ask a few questions so I know where to start? I don't sell life or FE so this could definitely be better but the formula is there. ---------- Also... Definitely do not say you are good at what you do. That is a huge red flag to anyone that doesn't know you screaming STAY AWAY! This comes with the way you interact and the quality of questions you ask. ...in other words it must be demonstrated for them to come to their own conclusions.
. Thanks for your advice. I still have some work to do and with all the help, I will be able to have scripts after scripts to change up my approach.

Back