Cold Calling For Seminar

jcrowe85

I am wondering what the best script might be for getting individuals to attend my Retirement/Social Security seminar. Our VP of annuities is the gentlemen actually speaking at the event. It's about 30 to 45 minutes in length and includes free dinner and drinks. Here's my current script: "Hi Mr. Smith, you're not expecting my call, but I want to invite you to a retirement seminar I am hosting on the 29th of this month. My Vice President will be there talking about Retirement and Social Security. Is this something you might be interested in?" Obviously the most common answer is "no" or they hang up. I've called nearly 1000 individuals that are within close proximity to the event's restaurant. I am new to the industry, any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Really tough way to fill a room. I have done this twice with very poor results. The problem isn't getting people to agree to come, the problem is getting them to show up. We even sent really nice "save the date" letters with tickets inside. We called everyone 24 hours in advance to remind them as well. I have filled rooms a bunch and the only way IMO is to use mailers and them RSVP you your phone #. I have gotten a room full by calling my client base but never had luck cold calling.

Hi Mrs. Jones, my name is crowe and I the reason that I am calling is to invite you to a social security workshop that we are hosting at the Mcdonalds resteraunt on Redbird lane. Would you like to come out and enjoy a meal on us, and learn more about some of the strategies that the Gov. workers at the social security office are prohibited from telling you that could cost you thousands of dollars in social security benefits?

jcrowe85 - I agree with bourbonlegend... this will be an EXTREMELY tough way to fill a room. I wouldn't do it or waste my time (or a wholesaler's time) on this idea. (Unless the wholesaler will fund a mailing to your targeted demographic and then you follow up with a phone call?) Even then, I would schedule a SERIES of workshops... so the first few that attend can refer others to your next one... and start a rolling attendance of people to fill your seats.

However, I would put a little twist on this. I wouldn't call DIRECTLY for a workshop RSVP. I would call for a one-on-one consultation, then use the workshop as a way to meet and experience you without committing to an appointment.

Maybe something like (and I'll borrow from Centralsolution above me):
"Hi Mrs. Jones? My name is crow and the reason I'm calling is that many people in our community have told me that they are concerned about their retirement assets and preserving their social security benefits. Would that happen to describe you as well?

It sounds like you may have some of the same concerns my other clients have shared with me. Normally, I would just ask for a time where we can meet in my office and we can talk and see how things go. But I've actually got a workshop that I've got coming up on the ____ day of _____ over at _____. I'm presenting the workshop along with a great dinner. I would like to invite you to my workshop because it would be a more relaxing way for us to meet and you can get a glimpse of the kind of work I do. May I reserve one or two places for dinner for you?"

While it's wordy... the idea is to compare the workshop invitation as a BETTER, more relaxing, and "lower risk" method to meet you... instead of committing to an appointment one-on-one.

I use to do this for my boss, and it really is a pain to get people to show up. Do you have any existing clients, business partners, or friends? The only way I know to fill up a room is to get those aforementioned people to bring a friend or two. One thing that helped me was telling people space is limited, it helps get rid of some of the lames that won't show up, and for some people it makes them want to go, not sure why. Good Luck.

Back