Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

Yeah, Cold calling is more effective unless you have a ton of $$--

I know many agents with "a ton of money" who cold call and do not buy leads. Just because an agent has "money" doesn't mean he is willing to piss it away when there is a more cost effective way to generate new clients. Cold calling isn't punishment for agents without a ton of money.

Cold calling is suppose to "suck". If it was simple and easy anyone could do it you as an agent wouldn't have anyone to sell insurance to.

I should be encouraging agents to spend thousands of dollars each month buying "leads". That will lessen the competition. I can make more money than those agents by selling less insurance.

If you're calling from your office phone, you can dial *67 to block all caller ID information, but that is probably worse because the caller ID will then read "private" or "blocked", telling the person you call that you are purposely trying to hide your identity. Anyone who answers a call like that deserves what they get.

You could have the phone provider change the caller ID display... but to what? People today just ignore calls from people they don't know, waiting to see if they leave a message. At least if the people see who is really calling (your agency), they can answer knowing who's calling. Those that actually answer won't be totally surprised and defensive. I personally just use my name on my caller ID.

I have a new agent in our office who just started cold calling like me and her phone info says blocked. About 35% do not answer. My phone # shows up and 99% answer--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I know many agents with "a ton of money" who cold call and do not buy leads. Just because an agent has "money" doesn't mean he is willing to piss it away when there is a more cost effective way to generate new clients. Cold calling isn't punishment for agents without a ton of money.

Cold calling is suppose to "suck". If it was simple and easy anyone could do it you as an agent wouldn't have anyone to sell insurance to.

I should be encouraging agents to spend thousands of dollars each month buying "leads". That will lessen the competition. I can make more money than those agents by selling less insurance.

Well said. I'm new and have found cold calling to be very effective---so these leads folks purchase are no better???

Last edited:
Jessebjobe,

I have several agents that have a solution for this issue. FYI: It is Illegal for a Business to block their caller ID.

So, use your Personal Cell phone from "Jessebjobe" to call your leads. You'll be amazed by how many folks answer. Sell yourself, not just the company.

If you need good Auto/Home/Life/Health leads, give us a call.

I am new and maybe a fool, but I'm going to listen to Frank. Everyone says "yes, it will work if you do it enough." Well, I don't have a lot of leads and my time is cheap right now. In 1 month, I have generated 21 interested prospects. Only 2 or so hrs per day. People who I respect in this business are telling me to keep pounding. Good advice from all. Thanks. BTW B2B DI and Life. I plan on doing it more than enough.

Great job!

DI is not an easy sale for a newbie.

Time = $$. Just depends on which you have more of.

Keep it up & please report back on what is working so others can learn.

One ? for now: What/where did you get your prospect list? YP for businesses & ask for the owner or ??

Cold calling is not fun. I have 1 girl that cold calls for me in the evening and she usually gets from 1 to 4 people that give her all the info on their home and autos that would like to be called back with a quote. We just say, "We will run you info for fun and fight to earn your business" How many autos do you own? Lots of people start talking when you give them an open ended question. And yes you get more not interested, but 3 prospects a night is pretty good for one person.

Back