Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

So I'm here waiting for mailers to drop and be returned. So in the meantime thinking of just cold calling. I have a freshly scrubbed targeted list. What rate of return should I expect say by making 100 cold calls? One or two appts? More or less? ..... thanks for feedback...Mark

I would say no more than 5 appts if you are lucky and no less than 0....:GEEK:

So I'm here waiting for mailers to drop and be returned. So in the meantime thinking of just cold calling. I have a freshly scrubbed targeted list. What rate of return should I expect say by making 100 cold calls? One or two appts? More or less? ..... thanks for feedback...Mark

Depending on the product you're looking at getting interest from 1-3. Interest enough for an appointment? Depends on your area/product/ability. If you're cold calling on annuities you'd be lucky to get much traction at all (though some do quite well with it), on Med supps you'll be on the other end of the spectrum and FE is somewhere in the middle, more towards the same as Med supps.

cold calling sucks and for the vast majority of agents it does not work. Most agents cold calling FE barely make minimum wage.

If you want to make serious money in this business follow JD's script. Buy leads and work the phone for a couple of hours and hit the road 2 days a week.

Spend the majority of your time selling face to face, not over the phone. And don't shoot all your bullets during the presentation. Save a few for the objections.

The first part of this thread is 100% spot on

COLD CALLING SUCKS

I have to say I completely agree. I'm not a new agent, but just started at a new agency so I have to rebuild my book. I hate the idea of cold calling almost as much as I hate picking up the phone, but it definitely does work. I cold call businesses only so it's probably easier than straight to consumers, but still the least fun part of my day.

Just today I got several people to agree to let me quote their insurance just from straight cold calls. I try hard not to have a robotic / scripted sound when I call and it seems to work alright. The worst rejection I ever get is "no thanks, we're all set" and I thank them and go on to the next one. I will definitely stick with it since it gets results.

I am in a similar situation. Leads are very expensive with very low returns, although I do use some direct mail. With most things nowadays being "high-tech'", I think it shows many people that we are "high-touch," which is a good way to start building r apport and trust. I will be doing more of it myself as well. Best wishes to us all.

For those of you that cold call and are successful at it, do you quote while on the phone or do you take down their info and call them back?
I struggle with cold calling but want to make it part of my routine. I use an auto dialer. I made 175 calls today and got 1 opportunity for a quote. I am actually happy about that. My problem is me for the most part becuase usually I dont know what to say but also the rates for the company I work for are probably the highest in the area. I know I should sell myself but I dont see how that works when you really only have 20-35 seconds on a cold call. Any suggestions?

Selling yourself only goes so far. If you are in P&C, captive with high rates, life is going to be very difficult no matter how good on the phone you are.

For those of you that cold call and are successful at it, do you quote while on the phone or do you take down their info and call them back?
I struggle with cold calling but want to make it part of my routine. I use an auto dialer. I made 175 calls today and got 1 opportunity for a quote. I am actually happy about that. My problem is me for the most part becuase usually I dont know what to say but also the rates for the company I work for are probably the highest in the area. I know I should sell myself but I dont see how that works when you really only have 20-35 seconds on a cold call. Any suggestions?

When calling for Med Supps, I quote.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am a producer for Allstate calling for Auto and Home. Its frustrating to go through that many calls to finally get a chance and then be double the price of what they are paying. Not that that always is the case but more often that not.

I also feel like I am very scripted. Any ideas on how to work on that? Should I just make more calls?

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am a producer for Allstate calling for Auto and Home. Its frustrating to go through that many calls to finally get a chance and then be double the price of what they are paying. Not that that always is the case but more often that not.

I also feel like I am very scripted. Any ideas on how to work on that? Should I just make more calls?

If you can't beat them on price, win with personality.
Don't quote when you know you're not going to win out...it'll kill the deal right away. Try to set an appointment over the phone and get in the home. Once there, push yourself. Let them know that you come with the policy. It may be a few dollars more each month, but should something ever come up, they have you on their side, at all times.

Back