Cold Calling Sucks - But It Works

I think Callfire just will drop the other calls after a few seconds. They don't play a message. I only run 2 lines and according to Callfire I have a abandoned rate of 10 to 20%
which doesn't make since.

Call fire, you get what you pay for..I guess

Cold calling absolutely sucks but it definitely works. I worked for an Avaya communications reseller and all I did was cold call.

For 6 months I hit the pavement and phones hard. It helped me become a better salesman, and then I was able to spend more time in the office because I had built a nice funnel.

After I was making more money I began to hire an Indian firm to make cold calls for me for pennies.

I learned great lessons from cold calling that have enabled me to work smarter today.

Voice Broadcasting: Sometimes this is referred to as a "robo call" or a "press 1" service. As of September 1st, 2009 it is illegal to use this for business to consumer marketing, but some folks do still do it (for reasons I likely will never understand).

FTC has changed the voice broadcasting laws as of September 2009. You will need written permission from the recipient before sending a voice broadcast message to them.

Companies that relied on voice broadcasting need to find an alternative with similar cost structure and speed of delivery. Luckily, there is a solution. You can use voicemail as a means of deliver that makes it possible to resume mass communication with a pre-recorded message, as a legal alternative to voice broadcasting. The results you were getting with voice broadcasting will be the same with the use of voicemail.

During the sales cold call process, statistically 80% of phone calls are not answered by a live person, but instead are encountered with voicemail. Sales people were forced to either, leaving a message or hang up the call.

This method of mass communication is legal because a live person interacts with each call and message delivery, thereby satisfying the new voice broadcasting laws. Each pre-recorded message is delivered with a live introduction and voicemail recordings are usually delivered 80% of the time.

Additionally, a “press 1” feature is also available during message delivery to an answered call, which will transfer the call back to your sales team.

We have used this quite successfully in telemarketing and lead production and have passed the smell test with FTC with our equipment providers.

Last edited:
I am from the financial service side, and wondered what is the best way to learn predictive dialing? This side is a whole different world since we are restricted by compliance.

FTC has changed the voice broadcasting laws as of September 2009. You will need written permission from the recipient before sending a voice broadcast message to them.

Companies that relied on voice broadcasting need to find an alternative with similar cost structure and speed of delivery. Luckily, there is a solution. You can use voicemail as a means of deliver that makes it possible to resume mass communication with a pre-recorded message, as a legal alternative to voice broadcasting. The results you were getting with voice broadcasting will be the same with the use of voicemail.

During the sales cold call process, statistically 80% of phone calls are not answered by a live person, but instead are encountered with voicemail. Sales people were forced to either, leaving a message or hang up the call.

This method of mass communication is legal because a live person interacts with each call and message delivery, thereby satisfying the new voice broadcasting laws. Each pre-recorded message is delivered with a live introduction and voicemail recordings are usually delivered 80% of the time.

Additionally, a “press 1” feature is also available during message delivery to an answered call, which will transfer the call back to your sales team.

We have used this quite successfully in telemarketing and lead production and have passed the smell test with FTC with our equipment providers.

So most of the business, comes from leaving a message on someone answering machine. How many messages do you have to leave on avg, to get someone to call you back?

I always thought it was a waste of time to leave a message on an answering machine. Maybe you are on to something.

Also, can you tell us what message you leave on the machine.

Leaving messages can work with some products. Although you're right its not worth the time if your using live agents who would have to leave that message personally. It is a matter of opinion though.

Now if your using the pre recorded message that your caller just has to press a button when they hear answering machine and it plays while moving the caller to the next call....that can work!! our system allows you to either hear every call and press a buttton to play the message OR we set it up to auto play that message when we hear an answering machine. Of course you could leave it off completely if your totally against leaving messages.

It can work, but like anything else it has pros and cons...for as much interested response you get, you get just as many upset callers that you left them a message. If you can stomach that and some of the time and headache associated with it, I would say try it!

So most of the business, comes from leaving a message on someone answering machine. How many messages do you have to leave on avg, to get someone to call you back?

I always thought it was a waste of time to leave a message on an answering machine. Maybe you are on to something.

Also, can you tell us what message you leave on the machine.

Back