Cold Calling Tip | Why Common Objections Are Helpful!

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
From time to time we'll have folks come on here and express they're having a problem with certain objections. One of the great things about objections is that they are consistent and predictable. It may take a while to get your list down, but what you'll find is that as you get your list together of common objections is that it leaves you in a position where you are prepared for what they're going to say before they say it.

On another thread Somarco made an excellent point when he said that responding to an objection with confrontation means you've already lost. Cold calling may seem hostile, but to be successful with cold calls (or warm calls) it needs to be more of a call motivated by calling to help your prospects. Folks get in this industry sometimes because they want to help people and if you can get that message across effectively, you'll find that people will want to talk to you so that you can help them. Not everyone will want your help, in fact, if you called folks offering $20 bills you'd still get more knows than you might suspect, but that's part of the game.

Back to the issue of objections being helpful. Folks are usually only good for about three objections and then they'll either hang up or engage in a conversation with you. When you're developing your objection and rebuttals list, here are some things to keep in mind:

-Break it down to simple objections: I don't get paid till friday, I don't have any money, and I can't afford anymore insurance are all objections to price. You might not need to list each of those individually, you may want to simply mark them down as objections to price.
-Acknowledge the objection: People like to be listened too, even if you don't address the issue immediately, acknowledge it. "You know, I hear that a lot" or something of that nature.
-Stay on a predictable path: Most objections can be responded to with "that's why I called...". As you're going through your list of objections, use that as a starting point. "I already have insurance...", "Great, that's why I called. Did you know...."
-Be conversational: Folks generally feel more at ease in a conversation than when someone is trying to sell them something, so be relatable and be personable. For that reason I generally like to use first names, which doesn't work in every area, but most of the time folks will find it more disarming than offensive. The reality is that selling is a numbers game and whatever approach you use, you're bound to offend someone. The biggest thing on that point is to make sure you're comfortable with what you're saying.

Happy Selling!

Very well explained, Josh. There just are not that many objections, but thousands of ways to express them. Once learned about "pigeon-holing" the objection into the proper meaning, responding is second nature.

Josh said:
From time to time we'll have folks come on here and express they're having a problem with certain objections. One of the great things about objections is that they are consistent and predictable. It may take a while to get your list down, but what you'll find is that as you get your list together of common objections is that it leaves you in a position where you are prepared for what they're going to say before they say it.

On another thread Somarco made an excellent point when he said that responding to an objection with confrontation means you've already lost. Cold calling may seem hostile, but to be successful with cold calls (or warm calls) it needs to be more of a call motivated by calling to help your prospects. Folks get in this industry sometimes because they want to help people and if you can get that message across effectively, you'll find that people will want to talk to you so that you can help them. Not everyone will want your help, in fact, if you called folks offering $20 bills you'd still get more knows than you might suspect, but that's part of the game.

Back to the issue of objections being helpful. Folks are usually only good for about three objections and then they'll either hang up or engage in a conversation with you. When you're developing your objection and rebuttals list, here are some things to keep in mind:

-Break it down to simple objections: I don't get paid till friday, I don't have any money, and I can't afford anymore insurance are all objections to price. You might not need to list each of those individually, you may want to simply mark them down as objections to price.
-Acknowledge the objection: People like to be listened too, even if you don't address the issue immediately, acknowledge it. "You know, I hear that a lot" or something of that nature.
-Stay on a predictable path: Most objections can be responded to with "that's why I called...". As you're going through your list of objections, use that as a starting point. "I already have insurance...", "Great, that's why I called. Did you know...."
-Be conversational: Folks generally feel more at ease in a conversation than when someone is trying to sell them something, so be relatable and be personable. For that reason I generally like to use first names, which doesn't work in every area, but most of the time folks will find it more disarming than offensive. The reality is that selling is a numbers game and whatever approach you use, you're bound to offend someone. The biggest thing on that point is to make sure you're comfortable with what you're saying.

Happy Selling!

What are knows Josh? I have never had anyone give me one of those....:)

As in "Well, I don't know" is another way of saying no politely. Any objection is simply a request for more info as "I'm not convinced yet, but....maybe I just need more info."

sellinmachine said:
As in "Well, I don't know" is another way of saying no politely. Any objection is simply a request for more info as "I'm not convinced yet, but....maybe I just need more info."

Thanks for trying to clear that up but you failed.

I think we should start calling you the "Professor".

You are beyond spot on with that statement. I've been preaching that for years but you said better than I have. I think I'll steal it from you. ;)

One can't make them talk to you by using "gimmicks" or "tricks", one has to learn to make them WANT to talk to you. That's what makes cold calling successful.

Somarco's point is excellent also. If everyone would read that this board might just be a little more congenial but probably not nearly as entertaining. :twitchy:

Back