Contact to Appt Ratio

Hey everyone. I'm looking to find out some industry standards for what a typical cold call contact to appointment set ratio is. I'm calling residential for property casualty.

I know there are a ton of variables that will affect this. Season, time of day, skill of caller, script, luck etc... But what is a general ratio (like 20 contacts per 1 appointment) so I can measure my success?

I'm with a little-known multiline captive, calling a ListShack consumer list, using MoJo dialer triple line, mostly during normal hours. I'm saying something like:

Hey this is Mike with Farm Bureau Financial Services here in (city). We are one of the fastest growing auto and home insurance agencies in town. With our expansion, we're offering extra coverages and discounted rates. Are you interested in setting an appointment to take advantage of this?

Change your pitch.

What benefit does prospect get because your company is one of the fastes growing in the area?

What benefit does client get because your company is expanding their services? What new services--free coffee & donuts?

Stop identifying yourself & company in opening. Stop asking prospect how are they doing. Do you really care? It's phony.

What are the 3 most important benefits prospects are interested in? What's bothering them the most? How can you help them?

"Bob i work with homeowners in (city) to help them save money on their (policy kind) without giving up any benefits. In some cases, i have saved people $300-$500 a year.

My name is _______.

Are you interested in saving money on your (policy)?

P.S. google Mike Brooks on phone cold calling. I think he's the best.

Last edited:
What are the 3 most important benefits prospects are interested in? What's bothering them the most? How can you help them?

"Bob i work with homeowners in (city) to help them save money on their (policy kind) without giving up any benefits. In some cases, i have saved people $300-$500 a year.

My name is _______.

Yeah, you need a stronger benefit statement. This ^ is good cuz it has specifics on the benefits, inspires identification with other homeowners, and has a stronger call to action.

Change your pitch.

What benefit does prospect get because your company is one of the fastes growing in the area?

What benefit does client get because your company is expanding their services? What new services--free coffee & donuts?

Stop identifying yourself & company in opening. Stop asking prospect how are they doing. Do you really care? It's phony.

My name is _______.

P.S. google Mike Brooks on phone cold calling. I think he's the best.

Good post and advise.

MickeyMa, I like that but isn't it live by price, die by price? What happens when you quote that person and you're more expensive?

*Only responding to get rid of the stupid pop up that tells me I haven't contributed in over a week.

MickeyMa, I like that but isn't it live by price, die by price? What happens when you quote that person and you're more expensive?

Unfortunately, people are going to look at price first. Your best bet is to explain the value of your policy vs their current policy.

If your losing on an "apples to apples" comparison, change game!

If a client has minimums for liability, don't even show them your price if your losing there. Show them a quote for 2x the coverage and then explain why it's better. How the underinsured protection takes better care of them.

This strategy doesn't always work, but it works way better than giving up.

Hey everyone. I'm looking to find out some industry standards for what a typical cold call contact to appointment set ratio is. I'm calling residential for property casualty.

I know there are a ton of variables that will affect this. Season, time of day, skill of caller, script, luck etc... But what is a general ratio (like 20 contacts per 1 appointment) so I can measure my success?

I'm with a little-known multiline captive, calling a ListShack consumer list, using MoJo dialer triple line, mostly during normal hours. I'm saying something like:

Hey this is Mike with Farm Bureau Financial Services here in (city). We are one of the fastest growing auto and home insurance agencies in town. With our expansion, we're offering extra coverages and discounted rates. Are you interested in setting an appointment to take advantage of this?
Quit trying to measure your success by what others are doing. If you are accomplishing your own goals you're successful.

Quit trying to measure your success by what others are doing. If you are accomplishing your own goals you're successful.

Agreed, but most people asking these kinds of questions are not accomplishing their goals and want to pinpoint where they're going wrong. For example, if most other people have a 15:1 ratio instead of 20:1, the might need to work on script or delivery (or possible the list they're using). If everyone has 20:1, they need to make more calls.

Back