Convincing Prospects or Searching for Them?

juggerburn

Expert
This is especially in regards to cold calling. I just want to hear from the experts in the game. Is the goal to convince someone they need or want something, or is it calling until you catch someone who thought about it and is already interested? I've heard different opinions on this.

To convince a prospect after the initial objection comes from the school of those that feel the first reaction is an initial knee-jerk reaction and doesn't really portray a prospect's interest. I subscribe to that theory and I feel it stems from the Sandler mindset.

Then there's those that don't care about the initial objection and they would like to take a "second swing" because processing bodies takes time and time is money, why not decrease that factor by asking the prospect twice in front of you to buy or meet for an appointment.

I think the move on and fine a better needle in the hay-stack comes from the more modern theory that you must process bodies in order to find that perfect prospect that displays initial interest. This theory aligns with the theory that interruptive marketing is inferior to marketing that draws prospects.

To me, being able to afford marketing that draws a prospect is one step closer in the sales cycle than the "interruptive marketing" cold calling effort.
One step.

To convince a prospect after the initial objection comes from the school of those that feel the first reaction is an initial knee-jerk reaction and doesn't really portray a prospect's interest. I subscribe to that theory and I feel it stems from the Sandler mindset.

Then there's those that don't care about the initial objection and they would like to take a "second swing" because processing bodies takes time and time is money, why not decrease that factor by asking the prospect twice in front of you to buy or meet for an appointment.

I think the move on and fine a better needle in the hay-stack comes from the more modern theory that you must process bodies in order to find that perfect prospect that displays initial interest. This theory aligns with the theory that interruptive marketing is inferior to marketing that draws prospects.

To me, being able to afford marketing that draws a prospect is one step closer in the sales cycle than the "interruptive marketing" cold calling effort.
One step.

Interesting. I didn't think I was going to get a response that in depth. I find that no matter what I say during a cold call, because i've tried a few different pitches, all the person hears is life insurance. That has led me to believe that people either want it or they don't. Of course it could also be my skill level and some people just aren't very good at cold calling. From here on out, I'm going to focus on quantity instead of quality when it comes to setting appointments on cold calls, and bring in quality on the appointment, if you get what I'm saying.

Last edited:
I prefer talking to people who are interested in what I can do for them. I refuse to try and persuade them to listen to me. I got thousands of more people to call than worrying about 1 person. I have a 2 sentence little "spiel". The first is a statement, the second is a question, mostly ending in "what would it take to earn your biz?"

I only call b2b

Seems to be working. Got that from someone else on this forum (Josh).

I prefer talking to people who are interested in what I can do for them. I refuse to try and persuade them to listen to me. I got thousands of more people to call than worrying about 1 person. I have a 2 sentence little "spiel". The first is a statement, the second is a question, mostly ending in "what would it take to earn your biz?"

I only call b2b

Seems to be working. Got that from someone else on this forum (Josh).

What's your exact wording on your statement and question? I like the straight forward approach.

The only thing you need to sell them on is an appointment.

And that depends on your pitch, your tonality, and how you can handle initial objections.

I believe getting in the door is the most crucial thing you can do as a salesman; you never know what you got until you see the prospect.

For a more "searching" approach, google "The 500 Day War.". Great insight on how financial reps can build a prospecting system.

depends on what kind of product you are calling for.

with Final Expense life----if they are not interested, simple move on to the next name

for medicare health insur.----anyone on medicare needs something to go along with it, part C, part D, and.or medigap plan. These people i try and sell myself and my expertise in this field for an appt. It is not common to get at least 1-10 objections per person on the phone before an appt. I spend sometimes up to 30 min on the phone with one person if they are willing to talk...........the more they talk to you the more they feel comfortable with you. You gotta think that most agents give up after 1-3 objections and normally dont spend more then 2-5 min on the phone with them, set yourself above everyone else by giving them what they want-----an ear to talk off!!!
:yes:

A few people will never buy from you. This is truly not worth the time talking to them. A few are on the fence and will buy from you but only if you say the right thing. This is where the great salespeople make their money. A few are laydowns and will buy from you no matter what After a while, you'll learn how to distinguish between the three and focus only on the last two.

Back