Could Really Use Some Help with Approaching Referrals

undisclosed

Expert
I have one client who I first met through a cold call and have developed a good relationship with. He’s the only client I have so far who I would actually consider a friend as well (we've gotten together for beers a couple of times). I haven’t had a lot of success with referrals up to this point, but this guy recently gave me a solid list of some friends and family to call.

I’ve been struggling to get in front of good prospects these past few months as I’m not from this area and have no natural market, so this list could be huge for me and I just want to make sure I don’t f*ck it up (I tend to overthink these things). Any scripts or general advice on how to best approach the initial phone call to set an appointment? I know that he's mentioned me to at least some of the referrals, if not all of them.

At this point in my career I’m focusing mostly on life insurance, by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help; I really appreciate it.

Usually I call the referral first. I say something like... Hi Jake, I trust I didn't catch you at a bad time. (pause). John Thomas and I were having lunch last week and he mention that I would be a help to you and your family. I specialize in...... I would love to meet you for coffee and see if I can be of assistance. I promised John I would see what I could do or at least give you some good information. Also I ask my referrers to send an email letting the referrals know I will be calling. I send the template for them to send to the person. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

This is something I think we've all been through. What's the difference between screwing up the list and not calling? It's the same result.. If he gave you the referral just let them know John Q. suggested you speak with them. A warm referral is just like being half way in the door. Of course be DNC compliant..

I was going to say that. If I'm correct you can't call a referral that is on the DNC list even if their friend told you to call them. You have to get them to call you somehow.

How does everyone handle this?

Ask to borrow somebody's cell phone. Call up the referral. :laugh:

I was going to say that. If I'm correct you can't call a referral that is on the DNC list even if their friend told you to call them. You have to get them to call you somehow.

Yuo can always go back to your referred and say something like:

"John I really appreciate your confidence in the services I can provide for your friends such as Jimmy DNC. Here is the thing Jimmy is on the DNC list so if I want to run my practice according to the law, wink wink, I can't call them, I was wondering if you might be willing to call them and let them know we work together and think we should speak and mention that I'm right beside you can hand me the phone"

Do you really think the person you were referred to is going to file a complaint? Even if they don't want to talk to you, the odds of them complaining is almost non-existent.

Instead, they are more likely to complain to the referrer.

I'd just call them from a cell phone if I was super worried about DNC for a warm referral. While it might not be the answer some people want, let's be real here for a bit.

If Tom says to call Jerry because Jerry needs some insurance help, if I call Jerry on my cell phone and say Tom does business with me and if Jerry would like to set up a time to talk, I doubt Jerry is going to say anything.

Any time after that I would call from the office phone. Or I call from the office phone right away. If there is some inclination that Tom has talked and figured Jerry would need the help, I think that is more of a follow-up call than a DNC cold-call.

Others may vary in their opinion but I doubt that is going to be a huge issue.

I'd obviously say something that Tom would have mentioned to show that it really is warm referral.

"Hey Jerry, Tom said that you might be looking for some help with insurance after the way Allstate handled your claim a few months ago. Mind if I take a look and see if I can save you some money and get you with a company that helped me clients out during claims?"

This is why I send an email template introducing me and that i will be calling. I ask the referrer to send it to the person they are referring. I also ask them to forward their response. When the person responds to their friend no problem or I will be looking out for their call you are in the clear with the DNC. :yes:

Thanks for the responses! Any other thoughts on what to say in that first conversation when you call a referral?

I've seen people mention sending emails beforehand a few times in the past... I'll have to look into trying that sometime. In the meantime, do you guys recommending sending a short note to referrals letting them know that so-and-so asked you to give them a call and that you'll be in touch sometime in the next few days, or do you prefer just skipping straight to the phone call?

Back