D2D L/H/Annuities Tracker

Whirleybird

Expert
Hey everybody, just started knocking a few weeks ago but I wanted to post an accountability threads in a place where I was with like-minded individuals. I know DHK has already given me some good advice, what do you guys do when you're going from door-to-door that works? And yes, I know that there is a giant thread on the topic already, but I'd like to see what's working for people these days. Going knocking today even though it's raining.

Last I heard, he's doing cold residential door-knocking, and got off to a great start!

If you wanted to post an accountability thread, this would be the sub-forum to do it - although I don't know of anyone else that has, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Doing residential, have been doing commercial my whole first year and honestly just ran out of businesses here in town. Day 1 results, spoke to 39 people, knocking 133 doors for 7.5 hours. 22 leads and 4 appointments set, 2 for life, 1 LTC and 1 for college funding.

And after the crap show on advisorheads this is where I'm posting.

----------

How funny that you two are the first to see this as you two are the ones who have given me the majority of my advice on this.

Well I'm knocking every door from 12-8 so that I get the daytimers out of the way by prime time. The goal is 75% contact penetration in the subdivision by month end.

The 22 leads all gave me their contact info for an appointment down the line only 4 of them had a calendar available or didn't need a spouse.

50% expressed interest in a service though, and that is amazing.

I'm telling them I'm a financial advisor focusing my practice in the area and looking to figure out how it is I can best serve the community. Are you currently working with an advisor? I figure out what kind of advisor they have, if they have one and what they talk about. Then I hand them our information cards we have for raffles (check list of everything that we offer) and ask them to check off anything they need to talk about, and highlight what they already have in place with their current advisor. Then I have them look at all 26 boxes and say for my clients I do t recommend leaving any of these issues alone. Go for the appointment and if not ready to schedule (yet) ask them the best time of day to call back.

As for the elevator pitch I use on the commercial side (and it works great)

I teach and educate my clients the best ways to create and maintain a tax neutral portfolio, or at best a true tax alpha. Let me ask you, do you know what happened to your taxes for the first time in 20 years back in 2013? Yup, taxes went up.

Then I have a conversation on the benefits of pulling 50% of retirement income from tax free sources vs 100% taxable sources. And how someone making 100,000 before taxes will generate an additional 17,500 in tax free income by dropping to a lower bracket in retirement and keeping the same income. <<<tried that door knocking residential and they looked at me like I was crazy, but it works great for businesses. It's a great segue into the creditor protection, key man policies, buy sell funding and everything I have done previously. But it takes a sophisticated prospect with a high level of financial savvy

133 doors knocked
39 people spoken
4 new appointments = 2 for life, 1 for LTC, and 1 for college planning

The "knocked/spoken" ratio (29%) really doesn't matter, but perhaps only knocking on houses that have cars out front might help that ratio.

The "spoken/appointments" ratio (10%) seems rather on the low side. Don't let that discourage you or stop you, as with this prospecting, getting a NET result is the name of the game and then being able to transition to a referral-based prospecting method would be the name of the game.

However, I'd be curious as to how you present yourself and your services. What kinds of problems are you presenting as to helping people to solve?

Or are you 'winging it' each time?

----------

This is a great little article on the subject:

How To Explain What You Do So That People Immediately Want To Work With You

Sorry for the barrage of questions:
1. Knocking rural, urban, or suburban neighborhoods?
2. Looking for a car out front?
3. I take it you're just setting appointments or are you asking to step inside right then and there?
4. What times are you knocking, during the morning, afternoon or evening?
5. Hitting people up with a survey, or are you directly asking them?

Good job for going out there and prospecting, I also agree with David, use cold door knocking to build a base of clients that you can earn/solicit referrals from so you can transition from prospecting cold to prospecting warm leads.

I have been knocking residential lower middle class in the city. No survey, just introducing myself and asking I they have an advisor. Then I hand them a lead card and ask which of our services they have in place from their current advisor (usually 1 or 2 things get marked off out of 25 options) at which point I tell them I do holistic planning for risk mitigation and make sure they know the goal is to have all 25 taken care of before they run into a crisis that can affect their wealth

----------

Well I'm knocking every door from 12-8 so that I get the daytimers out of the way by prime time. The goal is 75% contact penetration in the subdivision by month end.

The 22 leads all gave me their contact info for an appointment down the line only 4 of them had a calendar available or didn't need a spouse.

50% expressed interest in a service though, and that is amazing.

I'm telling them I'm a financial advisor focusing my practice in the area and looking to figure out how it is I can best serve the community. Are you currently working with an advisor? I figure out what kind of advisor they have, if they have one and what they talk about. Then I hand them our information cards we have for raffles (check list of everything that we offer) and ask them to check off anything they need to talk about, and highlight what they already have in place with their current advisor. Then I have them look at all 26 boxes and say for my clients I do t recommend leaving any of these issues alone. Go for the appointment and if not ready to schedule (yet) ask them the best time of day to call back.

As for the elevator pitch I use on the commercial side (and it works great)

I teach and educate my clients the best ways to create and maintain a tax neutral portfolio, or at best a true tax alpha. Let me ask you, do you know what happened to your taxes for the first time in 20 years back in 2013? Yup, taxes went up.

Then I have a conversation on the benefits of pulling 50% of retirement income from tax free sources vs 100% taxable sources. And how someone making 100,000 before taxes will generate an additional 17,500 in tax free income by dropping to a lower bracket in retirement and keeping the same income. <<<tried that door knocking residential and they looked at me like I was crazy, but it works great for businesses. It's a great segue into the creditor protection, key man policies, buy sell funding and everything I have done previously. But it takes a sophisticated prospect with a high level of financial savvy

----------

Both of these are what I'm doing essentially. I knock every single door though (Arizona has a lot of garages and backyard parkers) and talk to any landscaping of construction guys crawling around the neighborhood as well

----------

Lastly, for tracking I'm using Spotio. Because they allow you to customize text field, interests, next steps, and are simply built for door knocking. So if I had some interest in a neighborhood I can go back to there. The goal is to knock 125 a day for 25 leads. And my primary reason for knocking is to have all of my clients in the same area so that I don't have to drive 45+miles between appointments. And Justin my goal is the appointment right there. Not to walk in and flip a term policy but to sit down with them and explain the whole process I use with them.

Not many people have that much to contribute on their 4th post on this forum, great job.

giphy.gif

I laughed when you mentioned how residential people would look at you crazy about the tax neutral portfolio, don't blame them.
Just curious, if you were doing key man etc. with small businesses, why move to residential?
So you are going back and knocking the not-homes I take it?

Because 1. I have spoken to all 5500 small businesses in the area, they're super guarded about their personal assets, and there are far more employees than employers. Also, to talk to 100 businesses requires way more mileage than 100 residential. Less travel time and FAR smaller conversion time from prospect to client. 200 term policies is way more achievable on the personal side than on the commercial side. Although I doubt I'll get any 5M policies this way.

Back