DNC Compliance - Do You Have A SAN? Here's how to Get One.

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
For anyone that's ever thought about cold calling consumers you've probably looked into making sure you're DNC compliant. While most list brokers will scrub a list for you, it's important to know that you are still required to have a SAN. In fact, according to donotcall.gov you could still be found liable for fines even if you called people that weren't on the DNC, unless you have a SAN. For those that don't know what a SAN is, it's a number you get from the government that gives you access to the DNC list, it's a "Subscriber Account Number". You can register for one here: https://telemarketing.donotcall.gov/

You get up to five area codes for free, but after that you have to pay around $60/ area code. This all needs to be done annually.

Again, it's important to remember that no matter where you got your list, it's your obligation to get a SAN in order to be compliant. In order to scrub your list you can use that account to download the list. You can use a free tool a company put together to run the scrubs yourself, the software can be found at Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls. I don't know how long they'll be providing it, but it's a great tool and you can't beat the price.

I wonder if anyone has done a study of the impact of Life Insurance sales and the DNC regulation?

I wonder if anyone has done a study of the impact of Life Insurance sales and the DNC regulation?

I doubt it. With the most recent changes regarding the cell phones there has been a pretty big push back from researchers because they used to use random number generation to create random sampling pools. They can't use that to call cell phones anymore even though it's for surveys without risking serious fines and they believe it seriously impacts their ability to collect data that's as reliable.

It seems like every week I talk to at least one person that is surprised that 75%-80% of people are on the DNC registry. A big change happened after the law was passed. Originally folks would have to renew every five years, but they changed the law so once you're on it you're on it forever.

Josh, do you think any of these DNC laws will ever become less strict?

I'd love to think so, but I don't know the government to ever take steps to remove "protections" like this. It does encourage more b2b transactions (because those are exempt from the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)), but that doesn't exactly help folks that like to do direct to consumer products. I think it will always be viable for business to consumer marketing, but it's certainly not what you'd want to be your only marketing plan.

Just an FYI, that program Josh posted above is great. I used it today to do a quick scrub. I even verified a sampling of the numbers manually with the DNC and they were clean. I took it a step further and went in to a list and manually added numbers I know are on the DNC and it caught them. Good stuff. Thanks for the link!

Not too familiar with all the issues regarding telemarketing these days as it has been many years since I used telemarketers.

I was going to ask how to scrub a list I have with software, rather than one at a time. I think that was answered here. Still haven't tried it.

The next thing I keep hearing about is cell phones.

Are cell phones that are on the DNC scrubbed out with this free software as well ?

What is the issue about cell phones and the list provider scrubbing them out ?

Is there something you have to do different when using "dialers" to call rather than by hand in regards to cell phones ?

Thanks!

:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back