Does Your IMO Say Press 1/Robo Call Leads Are Legal?

b61mack said:
Just don't do it in Indiana, they had the FTC, the other federal dept, and the state of indiana on c-span last week. they don't have enough people to investigate, all the complaints, They are targeting the credit fixers, they are out and out scammers. I believe at first they send you a letter to stop, then hit you with fines. Once you press 1 or even 2. They don't answer, but they captured your phone number then sell it. When you call live, no violation.

So do you think I should direct my calls to Ohio then?

I wouldn't do it and I won't do it but I am in Indiana and I get these b.s. cardmember services calls all the time, cruise offers ect. I've called the SOS and they don't do anything so I stopped calling. Now I just don't answer if I don't recognize the caller ID.

I know this is an old subject & I realize that I am just another new kid on the block, (so don't beat me up too badly), but I have a question about Robocalls for insurance...

Wikipedia "Robocall" (I can't post URL because I'm a newb)

On September 1, 2009, a new regulation of the Federal Trade Commission went into effect, banning most robocalls without written opt-in from the receiver.[34] Political campaigns, surveys, charities, debt collectors, and health care providers are exempt, as are calls to businesses. Calls from banks, insurers, and phone companies are out of the jurisdiction of the FTC. In situations under federal jurisdiction, the federal law will supersede a slightly less restrictive law in the state of California.[35]

An old Huff post article, "Robocalls Banned By Government? Not So Much" (I can't post URL because I'm a newb)
Huff Post also contradicts, by printing, Among the unaffected mortgage lenders are banks and other financial institutions. The ban also does not apply to insurance companies, telephone carriers, politicians, most charitable organizations and purely informational calls such as notice of a flight cancellation. Debt collectors, so long as they contact consumers about actual bills without making a sales pitch, also do not face the restrictions.

So are both of these statements by Wiki and Huff obsolete (and just plain wrong)? If so, please guide me to a valid site the clearly rebuffs these two statements, that "robocalls are illegal for insurance".
Thanks,
Richard (RJT)

The key difference is that it's referring to existing clients of insurers and banks and that's because it doesn't regulate the insurance or banking industry. When you're marketing you have to play by the same rules everyone else does.

Josh,
I wonder why they didn't make that stipulation. Could you please point me in the direction that addresses this specific point... "referring to existing clients of insurers..."
(not being sarcastic) I would be sincerely grateful.
Respectfully,
Richard

Josh,
I wonder why they didn't make that stipulation. Could you please point me in the direction that addresses this specific point... "referring to existing clients of insurers..."
(not being sarcastic) I would be sincerely grateful.
Respectfully,
Richard

If you want to do it, go for it. It sounds like that's where this is coming from.

If you take a look at that last part, where it says bill collectors can use it, they're using the same point; if it's to get them to pay their bill it's fine, if its to sell something, no dice.

This is a subject I've discussed at length many times. Agents are getting fined for this too. Like I said, if you don't believe me and want to do it, go for it, I'm not the one risking the fines. Heck, I'll even sell you the lists at a price no one will beat.

----------

For example:

Health Insurance Agent Faces State Lawsuit for Robocalling Hoosiers - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com

Back