Door to Door - New Homeowners - Life Ins.

squakyclean

Hey everyone.
First post for me, been lurking for a while and using a lot of info you all have posted, so thank you.

I'm going to start going door to door to new homeowners in my area and was looking for some constructive criticism on my approach/script and what not.

Basically, I'll just have my portfolio/binder thing, a pen, and some business cards.

Here goes..

"Hello, my name is **** and I'm with **** insurance company. I was just in the area and wanted to congratulate you on your new home. I also like to do a simple survey with families who are new to the area, do you have a minute to answer 4 quick questions before you tell me go get lost?

<if no, thank them for their time. If yes, survey follows>

1. What brings you to the area and where did you move from?
<blah blah, ice breaker>

2. On a scale from 1-10, how important do you think life insurance is to a family such as yours?
<make them think about the importance>

3. On a scale from 1-10, how excited are you that I showed up at your door today?
<ease the tension, I'm kind of a joker anyhow. some might say a sarcastic ass, but whatever>

4. If you do have life insurance, WHY do you? If you don't, have you ever considered it?
<emphasize the WHY, make them consider it emotionally>

Thank you for your time, and at least I wasn't trying to sell you a vacuum, right?!

<ease tension some more>

Based on what you told me Mr/Mrs _______, I feel that you have an appreciation for how important protecting your household really is. I would love the opportunity to be a resource to you in protecting your family from catastrophy. If you don't mind, could I get your phone number so I can offer you an evaluation of your current policies or maybe some free quotes over coffee? My treat, and I won't ask you to buy anything!
<who the hell doesn't like free coffee?>

That's what I have so far, I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about it.

Please read the other threads that address this very topic.

My question is, is anyone paying you to do this survey or are they paying you to sell life insurance?

Sorry, I have read the other threads regarding this. This is kind of a blend of different things I cherry picked from other people.

An no, nobody is paying me, I'm just using it to generate leads.

Drop the "not try to sell you anything".... That is your job... also drop the get together later over free coffee.. The point of canvassing is to get in and make your presentation under favorable circumstances ..NOW. Failing that, if they can't or won't let you in to make your presentation or if the circumstances aren't favorable, ie spouse not home, kids squalling, etc. than you try to set an appointment to return within the next two days or get permission to call them back at your convenience. Oh, and drop the "fancy" phrasing and speak more down to earth..

Last edited:
Then cut to the chase. They know you are there to sell the something and you know you are there to sell them something.

Get to the point and ask if you can have a few minutes to .....

Show them what you do, show them how you can help protect them with mortgage protection, etc.

I would use the last thing I'm going to do is sell you something I always keep that promise. The last thing I do is sell them

I'd drop all the vaccum cleaner sales stuff and the how happy are you to see me stuff
1) It belittle what you are DOING as a professional
2) It's begging the be seen in a negative light

I'd prefer a "local agent" feel more of a
"I stop by to say hello to EVERY new h/o in MY area b/c WE are a tight knit group yada_____"
Again WELCOME, I 've got 4 quick ?'s for 'ya__________

* Having a 'welcome' gift is not a bad idea:
Calenders and fridge magnets work
A list of 'needed' area phones numbers/addresses works and is of value to an area newcomer
(Local school, Pizza shop, Dry Cleaners , Movie house etc) These are the same businesses that would GIVE you goodies to GIVE at the door to the same new comer you seek

Don't know where you live or how many new h/o you get weekly but if you map it and work it you get business just remember it make take you a few trips to actually 'meet' the ppl but that's ok cause you'll constantly be going back and forth to certain areas ...

b/c the Jones closed on 123 w. main on the 10th and the Lopez's moved in on the 17th...after a while you have a 'file' of who moved in over in what section over the last 10-12 weeks so if you miss 'em drop 'em a note that you'll drop in some 'other' time or they can call....this gives you 'permission' to drop by and FINALLY catch 'em 6 weeks later when you were vetting your 'newest' list.

If you 'work' this system and are willing to be out there it will work b/c nobody else is willing to put in the FACE time and large companies just can't......

It's almost like why the Post Office touches 100 million address just about DAILY while UPS and FedEx together 'might' do 25% of that.

Let other mail everybody but you can be a local FACE should you choose but you've got to go consistent and not effing shy.

Good Luck

Would be of interest to you to pay your house off early but in the mean time if you get sick disable or die you know that the payments will still be made
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I Agee with a house gift. I would see if target Walmart local grocery store would also contribute to new home owners dry cleaners a local pizza guy maybe see if get free tan from a tanning bed place.

Last edited:
Back