Favorite Cell Phone Scrubbing Tool?

Josh, Does your list scrub for cell phone numbers?

No it does not. The courts of consistently upheld that the burden of compliance relies on the telemarketing organization; you can't say "my list broker scrubbed it for me".

We're almost done with a DNC scrubbing tool that will let our users go directly to donotcall.gov and run their own suppressions.

Another great option is Dynamic.com which is a dialer that will do the cell phone scrubbing as well as DNC scrubbing in real-time; if I was calling, that's what I'd be using.

No it does not. The courts of consistently upheld that the burden of compliance relies on the telemarketing organization; you can't say "my list broker scrubbed it for me".

We're almost done with a DNC scrubbing tool that will let our users go directly to donotcall.gov and run their own suppressions.

Another great option is Dynamic.com which is a dialer that will do the cell phone scrubbing as well as DNC scrubbing in real-time; if I was calling, that's what I'd be using.

You still need your SAN to be compliant. Can't rely on generic software.

It should also be noted that even when you use a DNC scrubbing service that is connected to the National Do Not Call Registry it will only scrub numbers in the area codes that you are subscribed to. DNC scrub Lite separates the scrubbed data into three categories the original list, numbers okay to call, numbers not okay to call and numbers outside of your calling area. Each category can be downloaded in a csv file. I usually only download the okay to call list and then scrub that list using the cellphone scrubbing site previously mentioned. Some insurance companies provide DNC lookup tools where you can search by number which maybe okay if you only need to look up a few number but not if you are calling from a list. I find that even list that say they scrub against the DNC have a lot of numbers that are on the DNC. I find that on average 10-15% of the numbers on my list almost always are found on the DNC and once that list is scrubbed against the cell phone data list scrubber I usually lose 10-25% of those. On average a list of 1000 names yields 500-700 usable records.

It should also be noted that even when you use a DNC scrubbing service that is connected to the National Do Not Call Registry it will only scrub numbers in the area codes that you are subscribed to. DNC scrub Lite separates the scrubbed data into three categories the original list, numbers okay to call, numbers not okay to call and numbers outside of your calling area. Each category can be downloaded in a csv file. I usually only download the okay to call list and then scrub that list using the cellphone scrubbing site previously mentioned. Some insurance companies provide DNC lookup tools where you can search by number which maybe okay if you only need to look up a few number but not if you are calling from a list. I find that even list that say they scrub against the DNC have a lot of numbers that are on the DNC. I find that on average 10-15% of the numbers on my list almost always are found on the DNC and once that list is scrubbed against the cell phone data list scrubber I usually lose 10-25% of those. On average a list of 1000 names yields 500-700 usable records.

Very good insight.

It's really just a marketing ploy to get new inexperienced agents to sign up, most of whom are on a tight budget. "DNC scrubbed and cellphone scrubbed data" still need to be scrubbed by the individual calling the data. That cost money.

Many reputable companies allow for you to enter in your SAN and will allow a DNC filter, the fly by night companies just say it's scrubbed, which in my experience is usually inaccurate.

"DNC scrubbed and cellphone scrubbed data" still need to be scrubbed by the individual calling the data. That cost money.

That's partially true. There isn't a way around scrubbing for cell phones costing money, but you can get up to 5 area codes for free when you register at donotcall.gov and use Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls to scrub it for free.

Many reputable companies allow for you to enter in your SAN and will allow a DNC filter, the fly by night companies just say it's scrubbed, which in my experience is usually inaccurate.

You don't make any sense. I believe you've mentioned that you like LRG, right? They may ask for a SAN, but they aren't scrubbing it for you when you pull it and even if they were, it certainly isn't meticulously compliant the way you're suggesting folks do it. The only truly compliant way to handle it is to scrub a list personally every time you get it and at least once every 30 days after that (for DNC) and then to scrub cell phones at least once every 15 days (if you're using a dialer to call them).

That's partially true. There isn't a way around scrubbing for cell phones costing money, but you can get up to 5 area codes for free when you register at donotcall.gov and use Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls to scrub it for free.

You don't make any sense. I believe you've mentioned that you like LRG, right? They may ask for a SAN, but they aren't scrubbing it for you when you pull it and even if they were, it certainly isn't meticulously compliant the way you're suggesting folks do it. The only truly compliant way to handle it is to scrub a list personally every time you get it and at least once every 30 days after that (for DNC) and then to scrub cell phones at least once every 15 days (if you're using a dialer to call them).

I buy the LRG lists for direct mail purposes.

I once had a subscription to INFOUSA (I believe that's the name), about 7 years ago. They owned salesgenie.

They had a built in scrubber at the time where you could scrub against DNC on their site.

Correct. You need a SAN, you need to scrub a list when you get it, and you need to scrub it at least once every 30 days.

You also get a free pass once per year per phone number. Full text of the law can be found at

I've read several posts in the forum questioning the legality of "Press 1" leads. It would seem from this that "press 1" leads would be legal so long as the initial contact on the call is via live telemarketer asking permission to transfer the prospect to the pre-recorded message.

"It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or any person
outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States-- ...
(B) to initiate any telephone call to any residential telephone line using an
artificial or prerecorded voice to deliver a message without the prior express
consent of the called party"

Full text of the law can be found at ...

As I read the law, it would seem as though those "press 1" leads which begin with a live person asking the caller for permission to play the recorded message are legal:

outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States-- ... (B) to initiate any telephone call to any residential telephone line using an artificial or prerecorded voice to deliver a message without the prior express consent of the called party ..."

Also, are all cold calls to cell phones illegal, or only those dialed using an autodialer?

outside the United States if the recipient is within the United States--
(A) to make any call using any automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice-- ... (iii) to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call"

DNC Scrub Lite has always been good for me. But I dont scrub out cell phones to be honest.

As I read the law itself, it would seem that it is legal to cold call cell phones manually (assuming that the particular cell number is not itself registered on the DNC List). In other words, if your Mojo or Dolphin dials a cell phone, that's illegal. If, on the other hand, you manually dial your list, hitting a cell phone is legal if it has not been registered with the national DNC.

As I read the law, it would seem as though those "press 1" leads which begin with a live person asking the caller for permission to play the recorded message are legal:"

The "press 1" lead issue is what I find most interesting. I have read a number of posts by die-hard direct mail advocates that press 1 leads are always illegal. Yet, when I read the actual law, it would seem as though I could call a prospect, ask them permission to play the recorded message, and if they say "Yes," I could transfer them to the message and be on to my next call - and it would all be perfectly legal so long as a human being asked the respondent for permission to transfer to the pre-recorded message.

Back