Finally Made the Calls.

"Some tour pro's have a poor swing but they can repeat well like Furyk."
We're not talking about "poor form" here. It's all about the results. A swing that has poor form but good results is not a poor swing.

Try buying some aged life insurance leads and tossing them in Callfire.

Cold calling for life insurance is so tough - I don't see how anyone can have any long term success. I personally have never seen it happen

This is my next prospecting strategy when I have the money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Great job on actually making the calls. You got some great advice on changing your script. The calls will get easier as you are able to learn to develop some conversation and even sales! It is a numbers game, I don't call all the time but when I do my goal is to get them talking to me, not me talking to them if you know what I mean? Of course my end goal is the sale but that comes after listening to them and slowly guiding them down your path.

This an effective "pattern interrupt" - but it's the wrong kind. As soon as they hear this...you've lost them.

This is the kind of mindless, status quo crap that has led to the enormous agent failure rate.

No matter how bad my golf swing, if I hit enough balls I'll hit great shots? BS.

When I cold called for life insurance and health insurance, I found a lot of clients that way, but I had to call small business owners, not residential.

I wanted to give up one night on a Monday the week before Xmas, but I persevered and ended up selling a 500k and 400k 30 year term policies to a 65 year old couple, that was a nice chunk of change (10k in commissions) I also got to do their health insurance, all from a cold call.

My script was,

"Hello is N there? N, this is Justin giving you a call and N. you won't recognize my name because I am calling you as a cold call. Can I quickly tell you why I called you? (honest, to the point, and provokes curiousity to continue= 1st yes)
I work with small business owners like you in this area and I was wondering if you were pissed off with the amount of money you pay for your health insurance."

Regardless, of the health insurance answer I would take another "swing" at them while I had them on the phone and ask,
"Since life insurance rates have decreased lately, did you want me to run a quote for you?"
"are you married"? "Does she want a quote you think"? etc.

It can be done, but I think you have to
a) call on small business owners, no dnc
b) lead with another product

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try some new things. Try to offer something that has never been offered to them and/or make it sound like a really good deal, and then deliver on it. All in the sales pitch. Maybe that will spark some actual conversations. Doesn't help that i'm on as earned. Oh well.

Last edited:
Your performance is greatly affected by the equipment you use. First you need a good router to connect to your computer and the one you have is not gonna cut it. Too much delay will increase the callers that hang up and they will get irritated being talked over due to the delay.

You will need a good router or connect directly to your modem to get the best speed.

I have a 16 and 18 year old in the house and need a good wireless router that can allocate enough bandwidth for my calls and separate it from the gamers and streaming done by the kids.

I recommend the Netgear R6200 or R6300 wireless routers. Also, depending on your PC/Laptop. If it is 2 years old or later, you may not have a god WiFi radio that uses Band 802.11n or 802.11ac. Bands 802.11a/b/g are old and should not be used for VOIP connections.

As always a direct wired connection to a router is best for quality VOIP connections and encourage it before attempting to use WiFi. This also may solve the issue you may have with an older modem or computer and will speed your VOIP connection without buying new equipment.

Last edited:
Your performance is greatly affected by the equipment you use. First you need a good router to connect to your computer and the one you have is not gonna cut it. Too much delay will increase the callers that hang up and they will get irritated being talked over due to the delay.

You will need a good router or connect directly to your modem to get the best speed.

I have a 16 and 18 year old in the house and need a good wireless router that can allocate enough bandwidth for my calls and separate it from the gamers and streaming done by the kids.

I recommend the Netgear R6200 or R6300 wireless routers. Also, depending on your PC/Laptop. If it is 2 years old or later, you may not have a god WiFi radio that uses Band 802.11n or 802.11ac. Bands 802.11a/b/g are old and should not be used for VOIP connections.

As always a direct wired connection to a router is best for quality VOIP connections and encourage it before attempting to use WiFi. This also may solve the issue you may have with an older modem or computer and will speed your VOIP connection without buying new equipment.

I definitely, definitely need to speed things up. Those are lost opportunities. I know from my personal experience if there's a delay after I say hello, I hang up, because it's a bill collector. When the bill collectors smarten up and use a faster connection, I feel obligated to talk to them lol. So I'm looking into this, but my connection is wired. My modem is hooked up to my vonage box, which is hooked up to my laptop.
I'm going to call back the missed calls. I did use the smart drop feature, so those may be people responding to the voice mail. Who knows.
Anyone else have suggestions on call lag?
So i believe I have answer machine detection on which can cause a delay. I have been getting a lot answer machines and using smart drop. I am hoping changing this will solve the lag issue. I don't have time for this, I need to make some money lol.

Last edited:
This an effective "pattern interrupt" - but it's the wrong kind. As soon as they hear this...you've lost them.

This is the kind of mindless, status quo crap that has led to the enormous agent failure rate.

No matter how bad my golf swing, if I hit enough balls I'll hit great shots? BS.

Your golf game is that bad? Wow! Crappy golfers can hit will hit one good shot in a round. It's that one shot that keeps them coming back. I am not saying do the same thing that isn't working over and over again. So yes of course it's more then just a numbers game and you need to fine tune your craft. But if you are cold calling it is a pretty big numbers game. If you are doing DM it's a numbers game. What type of ROI did I get? What is was my closing ratio? Do my numbers justify another mail drop? Nothing I am sure new to you Moonlight and you have not only fine tuned your craft but your numbers.

Last edited:
I definitely, definitely need to speed things up. Those are lost opportunities.

My agents and I use the AgentsDialer system and we don't experience that kind of delay (when we have A/M detection off).

In order to maximize your time on the phone, you have to be ready for each expected blow-off response you are going to have.

Do you have a pre-written list of the objections you're going to get and your responses to them? Many times, people have the knee-jerk reaction, especially if you sound like you're reading a script or unsure of yourself.

Perhaps the best course on this is from Mike Books called the Real Secrets of the Top 20%. The audio course is expensive, but the paperback version of very inexpensive. You can see it here.

One of the things Mike says that he has learned from the top 20% in the phone sales world is that the little red flags you get at the beginning of the conversation are usually correct indications that it is a waste of time with that particular prospect. You could then go on fighting an uphill battle with someone that's combative the whole way and just waste a possible 30+ minute conversation when you should have known from the start that this endeavor, with that person, is a waste of time. Knowing the difference and cutting your losses in time quickly comes with experience.

There are lots of other good books on the subject, and it does not come from just having a good gift of gab. You have to study and perfect this as a craft. You have to build an emotion connection, that you're on their side of the table as soon as possible, solving a problem together.

Back