Finally Made the Calls.

juggerburn

Expert
I'm using callfire. I have a wired 100 mb/s connection but the speed test form Ookla says 8.40 mb/s for downloads and 0.38 mb/s for uploads. I have an old motorola rmodem and I wonder if that's causing a call delay with callfire, because sometimes I would get connected and hear nothing, because the person hung up already. I thought that maybe people were answering and hanging up the phone fast to stop it from ringing, but it could be that I'm just not reaching them fast enough.

I made about 300 cold calls from a targeted list and it says 61 answered, but it feels like I talked to half that amount. I spent so much time working on my script and never even made it to "who's gonna pay for the funeral if you pass away?" which is the third line on my script.

I would open with "Is the head of the household available?" Of the group of people who said hello or answered me, 20% of the time, no one spoke English, another 60 percent said the head of the household wasn't available, and the last 20 percent, were the heads of the household. I would say, "I'm calling to talk about your life insurance options." and they already had it and hung up fast, or weren't interested.

I'm not even getting close to the ratio's I expected. I didn't have one conversation out of those 300 calls.
I feel I might get through the whole list and not get past "i'm calling to ask about your life insurance options."

Last edited:
Did you use to work for H&R Block? Asking about Head of Household....I think you would do better by just saying you don't want to buy any life insurance do you...

Last edited:
Have you checked out Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone! .38 is very low of a speed.

I've seen the script for term life/mortgage protection and thought I would try another script I had first. Then it morphed into my own weird script I guess. I'm going to try yours word for word. About the internet speed, I just don't have the money to improve it right now.

Don't ask for the head of household, ask for someone by name.

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing that again. With cold calls, you have qualify for interest fast, and I just feel like I couldn't get the message through that life insurance is a great product with great value.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Did you use to work for H&R Block? Asking about Head of Household....I think you would do better by just saying you don't want to buy any life insurance do you...

Lol, well it failed miserably so you guys just might be onto something here. Regardless, when I fail, I go to the drawing board and try something new. I'm throwing stuff at the wall right now to see what sticks.
Are there anymore ideas?

Last edited:
I usually skip using the name at all, just pitch who answers.

Will keep that in mind. I feel like today was a success even with the failure. Today was the day I told myself to stop being a chicken **** and I actually followed through. There was a lot of call avoidance, maybe months, but I justify it by saying I was still learning the business. Thin line between call avoidance and learning the business.

But anyway, I felt like I gave up too fast on those who said they had insurance. Maybe I'm just being too nice.
So many people hung up on me when I just asked for the head of the household. From now on, they will know what I'm selling before they get off the phone. One person said they didn't know when the head of the household was getting back, they were just visiting. I possibly could have sold that person. I could have sold many of the wives and they might have referred me to the husband. Like someone said, this is an art that has to be learned.

Last edited:
Will keep that in mind. I feel like today was a success even with the failure. Today was the day I told myself to stop being a chicken **** and I actually followed through. There was a lot of call avoidance, maybe months, but I justify it by saying I was still learning the business. Thin line between call avoidance and learning the business.

But anyway, I felt like I gave up too fast on those who said they had insurance. Maybe I'm just being too nice.
So many people hung up on me when I just asked for the head of the household. From now on, they will know what I'm selling before they get off the phone. One person said they didn't know when the head of the household was getting back, they were just visiting. I possibly could have sold that person. I could have sold many of the wives and they might have referred me to the husband. Like someone said, this is an art that has to be learned.

Great job on actually making the calls. You got some great advice on changing your script. The calls will get easier as you are able to learn to develop some conversation and even sales! It is a numbers game, I don't call all the time but when I do my goal is to get them talking to me, not me talking to them if you know what I mean? Of course my end goal is the sale but that comes after listening to them and slowly guiding them down your path.

I would say, "I'm calling to talk about your life insurance options."
This an effective "pattern interrupt" - but it's the wrong kind. As soon as they hear this...you've lost them.
Great job on actually making the calls. You got some great advice on changing your script. The calls will get easier as you are able to learn to develop some conversation and even sales! It is a numbers game...
This is the kind of mindless, status quo crap that has led to the enormous agent failure rate.

No matter how bad my golf swing, if I hit enough balls I'll hit great shots? BS.

Back