Higher Income Home Owners

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
Majority of these higher income homes are most likely on no call list. Do you think I would have any success sending a hand written note stating I will be stopping by on a certain date between these hours. If they would prefer me not to, call me and say no thanks. Im wanting to focus on household incomes above 200K and thinking of doing 5 a day after Ieave office and before going home for the day. Would I be better off just cold knocking and forgoing the advanced notice?

That's what I was thinking, but didnt know if any here and tried it and what kind of response rate it generated. Such is life. Thanks Josh.

I did direct mail for 30+ years to people who bought or refinanced their homes. Had an income threshold because the higher income earners almost never returned a direct mail piece.

These people have a high amount of life ins. thru work & most have a broker whose firm sells life insurance.

Door knocking is a terrible idea for this group. They're sophisticated with college degrees and executive positions. Many have secretaries screen their calls. They feel door knockers are crude and low class.

I have done door knocking for the final expense crowd but this group makes less than $50,000 a year.

I should have specified my products. Home and Auto. I use those as a door opener and then try to cross sell life and disability.

I should have specified my products. Home and Auto. I use those as a door opener and then try to cross sell life and disability.

My advice is not that of a producer, but as a potential consumer. I am your target market, as are our neighbors. If you came by my house after work and tried to 'sell' me anything OR take time away from my family...it would never happen. People don't get to that level of income without working hard, they also aren't really concerned with saving $200 or so a year on car insurance.

They do talk to their neighbors about how much they are paying and they do find new insurance agents that way ;)

Personally I think you are wasting your time and I'd look at doing something else. I know the Edward Jones guys do this for financial products, but it's EJ and there is a good bit of Brand Recognition there...not sure saying you're with 'XYZ' or even an Allstate is going to get you an audience with me.

That and if I don't know you, I answer the door with my 9mm

I appreciate the input. Gooner, why would answer your door with a 9mm? This isn't the wild west or the 1800s.

I appreciate the input. Gooner, why would answer your door with a 9mm? This isn't the wild west or the 1800s.

I have a nephew the same way, lives in Kentucky (not that there's anything wrong with that) and he says he carries a gun everywhere he goes. I asked him if he thought it was safe with all that popping off in the bedroom....

Anyway...this is a very funny video on gun control. It may or may not be my opinion and I'm not going to enter into a debate...it's just a funny video I think everyone will like on either side of the issue.

https://youtu.be/zBOk1SnQ8uU

Some pretty bad language...so don't start it with your kids around.

Regarding Adam's question. There's an old saying in this business on the topic of door knocking that goes..."The longer the driveway the harder the sale". And from my experience that is true.

Last edited:

He lives in Georgia.

When I did P&C it was in Danville, Alamo, Diablo, Blackhawk, and the Oakland Hills. What Gooner is saying is correct. Unless you are related to a name you are not going to get in. Even if you get past the guard at the gate. Also what he said about them talking to each other is true. They have their guy. You have to find a way to be their guy. The problem is it is a slow process and not quick sales process.

I've got glass double doors, so I can see whoever is on the porch...I keep a S&W Shield(magnetic locked) behind the stairs..if I don't recognize you..you see the gun first.

I thwarts a lot of people from knocking on my door...most dk'ers leave before I open the door. So I guess that's why.

Back