How Do You Properly Work a Cold Calling List

emmjer

Expert
How do you properly work a cold calling list? Do you call the list multiple times, and if so how often do you call it before you decided to get a new list?

Some folks will just call through once and leave a message on a machine. Most folks get the best results calling through the list 3-4 times. If you're not getting any traction you might want to change to a new area/demographic too.

It's also important to make sure you're spreading that out. If you call the same number three times in a single day that's not going to be very good, but if you can hit them at different times of the day and on different days it can help your connect rate.

Last edited:
That all depends. If you're really killing it you'd go through 1k/week at the most, generally people would do less. You certainly wouldn't want to start with less than a few hundred.

If you're hand dialing I don't think you'd need more than about 1,000 quality names in a month. I have a telemarketer using a dialer for 10 hours a week. I can count on her using about 7-800 in that time.

And quality is important. You don't want to waste your time or money.

Rick

While a few people mentioned 3-4 times, I'd recommend call each one up to 5 times and call at different times over the course of a week. If possible I would also suggest that you try on Saturday and evenings. I would also recommend that you use a crm or simple spread sheet to keep track of when you call. It you use an excel spreadsheet, I would recommend using google calendar or another scheduling software to make sure you are following up when someone asks you to call back. Frequently people will say... call me back at a specific day and time... you don't want to lose that.

It doensn't make sense to call a lead 5 times during a weekday and be surprised if you get the same results each time.

I like leads that are as fresh as possible. I would recommend that you buy a weeks leads at a time... and not get more until you have exhausted all that you had... a full time person should be able to make 200 calls a day. If you are doing it 1/2 the day, I would recommend 100. Keep in mind that you are also calling each lead multiple times and doing call backs. For the full week, I would recommend no more than 5-600 leads for the week.

If you have a master list of 4k for example your going to want to make 8 increments of around 500 records or something similar.

You will get the most traction like josh said 3 or 4th call, thats why you make small increments. It would take you forever to get to call 3 or 4 on a 4k list.

How are you keeping track of the callbacks/ conversations?
You keeping good notes etc..?

I worked my telemarkers 5 hours a day... 9a-12p and 2p-4p Monday-Thursday.

Those are the best times to call a list. Each would dial about 1200 names per day on a multi-line dialer and connect with about 180 people. out of those 180, they would get 6-10 quality leads.

This is of course after you scruby dubb dubb the list for Federal and State DNC listings along with scrubbing it to exclude Cell phone numbers.

For manual dialing, you are lucky if you get through 50 names per hour.

I worked my telemarkers 5 hours a day... 9a-12p and 2p-4p Monday-Thursday.

Those are the best times to call a list. Each would dial about 1200 names per day on a multi-line dialer and connect with about 180 people. out of those 180, they would get 6-10 quality leads.

This is of course after you scruby dubb dubb the list for Federal and State DNC listings along with scrubbing it to exclude Cell phone numbers.

For manual dialing, you are lucky if you get through 50 names per hour.

Do those numbers average the same when dialing for either FE, Med Supps & Life ?

Back