Leaving Fliers on Cars?

TheCaspian

Expert
Does anyone have experience with dropping marketing materials on parked cars?

If it gets you the same 1% contact rate of other marketing tools, it seems like a cheap and effective tool if you can hit grocery stores/walmarts/stadiums/etc

If it gets you the same 1% contact rate of other marketing tools, it seems like a cheap and effective tool if you can hit grocery stores/walmarts/stadiums/etc

I have never heard of anyone trying that method to market insurance. I would be reluctant to advertise that way simply because I can not stand it when my car is flyer-ed.

I don't mind information being left at my home, because my home is also where I keep my trash can. When something is left on my car I feel stuck with it, and just have one more chore to do because I don't litter. Many people do, and keep in mind it will be your name littered across the ground.

I have for other businesses I've had. It works. People will ask you about your services while in the parking lot.
I had the loss prevention officer at best Buy call me and ask that I not do that anymore...lol

Most business will not knowing allow you to do this and littering is a problem. I would not do this.

Last edited:
Most business will not knowing allow you to do this and littering s a problem. I would not do this.

Probably won't. But I think there are lesser known and effective ways to reach people that most agents are currently not employing.

false........................

You sure about that? Many larger businesses post signs about no solicitation or distributing handbills. I imagine they could go after you for trespass if they wanted.

Of course, it is far easier and usually more productive to just call and ask you not to do it again.

I'd avoid this type of marketing activity. As someone who did it, trust me when I say you'll get more pissed off people calling than prospects. This will include property managers if you put them out on private property such as mall parking lots.

How to Legally Put Flyers on Cars | eHow

Here is some good info on this subject:

What You Need to Know
  • Check the premises for "no solicitation" signs. Placing flyers on car windshields is considered commercial solicitation. If the doors to the grocery store or mall -- or the grounds of a stadium parking lot -- have signs posted that say "no solicitation," you may not distribute flyers at all on the premises. It doesn't matter whether you hand them to patrons or leave them on the cars, it's not legal.

• Apply for a commercial solicitation license. If you have a business license, many cities will issue a commercial solicitation license. There is a fee, and there may be restrictions on how long the solicitation license is good for.

• Be prepared to pay a fine for littering. If you've determined that it is legal to leave the flyers on cars and you've gotten all the necessary permits, you may still be penalized by the city or by the parking lot owner if too many auto owners leave the flyers on the pavement. Since your business information is on the flyer, the lot owners will know whom to fine for littering.

• Check for different rules for nonprofit organizations. In many municipalities, you still cannot break the posted "no soliciting" rule, but you do not need a permit to advertise nonprofit events or services including church bazaars, charity auctions or other fund-raising activities, or basic information about the nonprofit itself.

Back