Leaving a Message when Cold Calling

I know when I listen to my answering machine, I give you 4 secs and if it dont sound important, I press delete. It does not take long to tell if they are trying to sell you something.

The general laws of sales don't change, folks...not the least of which is "the fortune is in the follow-up". If you prospect for any of your business and aren't following up, you will not make it in this business long.

With that said, I ALWAYS leave messages! I do NOT, however, expect any of them to be returned. It's just great when they are. I use VM messages as a way to lead in on a follow up call so the prospect realizes I'm not a first time cold call-in salesman. The key is to get beyond that point as quickly as possible so they can start seeing you as a potential consultant.

For example, the next call, if I connect will typically start with my saying, "Hello, this is Alex with ... Did you get the message I left for you on..? I've been looking forward to speaking with you regarding....". Hope this helps someone, it always works for me.

this made me laugh...ha

X7.

(Just trying to get my post count up so I can get a cool award:D.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
True, but your in sales, most people are not. messages can work if done properly. keep it short sweet and give them a reason to call you back. If your cold calling leaving messages can become demoralizing however if you have software do it you save time and headache.

I know when I listen to my answering machine, I give you 4 secs and if it dont sound important, I press delete. It does not take long to tell if they are trying to sell you something.

Last edited:
Back