Is my Telemarketer Doing a Good Job? Or Flubbing the Numbers?

The contact ratio seems terrible. What state are you calling in?

12 "qualified" leads in 80 hours of calling? What script are you using?

I totally agree. I have her saying what's worked for ME in the past... which is along the lines of "I know you may not remember, but we've quoted you in the past. We were just reaching out to see if you'd be interested in comparison shopping your policies with us - we quote with over 15 different carriers"

Something like that...

It should be noted that after the first 2 days in our office I allowed her to work from home, and she has been ever since. I did this because she's an experienced telemarketer and I didn't feel she needed the constant tweaking - but maybe I need to get her in the office more.

----------

Any time you buy a list it could be that the list sucks, but the metrics your looking at aren't really telling you that. Will Mojo tell you want the disconnect rate is? Will it also tell you when they're calling? For example, I had someone call up wanting to cancel "because the lists suck". We get to talking and come to find out they're calling all ages and doing it from 4 pm to 8 pm. Well, that poses a few problems, not the least of which are the fact that it doesn't matter what age group you're calling, 4pm - 6pm is when a lot of people are eating. For seniors you're better off calling earlier in the day (10am-noon is ideal) and for the younger crowd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm is pretty much as good as it gets.

A 10% contact rate is low, but a 1% contact rate is alarming. As a list broker I have access to the same lists that generally run a little more accurate, but the quality difference between the two is usually underwhelming, especially compared to other issues.

Thanks Josh. Mojo tells me a good deal of information, and we've been tweaking things quite a bit. Each week I have her alternate when she's calling. I.e. 10 to noon, 4 to 6, etc.

I can also see that, on most lists I've given her, she's called multiple times per person. Usually 2 to 3 attempts. It's hard for me to fathom that she's calling each person 3x and still getting a 1% ratio. That said, mojo also automatically puts in "disconnected number" and "busy signal", and there's definitely a small amount of those on every list - but nothing alarming.

I'm worried she might be placing the call, and immediately hitting "no contact" instead of letting the call ring out.

----------

Is this for Med Supps? 12 leads is unacceptable. You should monitor her calls without her knowing so you can find out what's going on. She could be randomly hanging up on prospects.

Nope. Home and auto - and thats a great idea. Mojo charges me a bit extra for that, but I think I should go that route. Thank you.

I totally agree. I have her saying what's worked for ME in the past... which is along the lines of "I know you may not remember, but we've quoted you in the past. We were just reaching out to see if you'd be interested in comparison shopping your policies with us - we quote with over 15 different carriers"

----------

I wouldn't use that phrase..The immediate mental response is, "Well, you couldn't help me back then, so why should I think you can now."

I wouldn't use that phrase..The immediate mental response is, "Well, you couldn't help me back then, so why should I think you can now."

I can see the rational in that, but it's worked out the opposite for me. I used to kill it at telemarketing using that line, because it immediately says "well, OK I'll listen since we've talked before" instead of "this is obviously a telemarketer calling from god knows where". It localizes and personalizes in the same sentence. Will try without though

My product is voluntary supplemental benefits to businesses up to 50 employees.

I furnish a targeted list that I put together myself, and pay one individual $25 per sitting appointment, instead of by the hour, and then $25 per sale.

She works three days per week. (Tues-Thurs, and sets her own hours) Last Tuesday, she worked two hours - made 36 calls - contacted 18 (half) and made 6 appointments. Five kept the appointment, and I sold three.

So, two hours, 36 calls, 18 contacts, and 5 sitting appointments. For the two hours, she made $125 ($25X5 sitting appointments) and another $75 ($25X3 sales) for a total of $200 for her two hours on the phone for that day. Oh yeah, we have a sliding scale for an additional bonus depending on monthly sales.

My experience has been - if a phone person is 'worth their salt' you don't have to pay them by the hour, or 'keep your thumb' on what they are doing.

Apples and oranges here. The OP has his appt setter calling cold lists. Your appointment setter is calling targeted businesses. Of course her contact rate will be much higher. It's not rocket surgery.

Hmmm, I'm definitely using unlimited downloads, $50/mo.

I wasn't aware there were such a product called 'quality lists' from Listshack? Or am I misinterpreting that? Are you simply saying "you should get a better quality list"?

ListShack.com is our value product and does run a few percent less accurate than the retail side (AffordableMarketingLists.com). For the price difference ListShack wins most of the business by a landslide, but even on our retail side we're much more competitive if you price shop us with other standard list companies.

----------

I

Thanks Josh. Mojo tells me a good deal of information, and we've been tweaking things quite a bit. Each week I have her alternate when she's calling. I.e. 10 to noon, 4 to 6, etc.

I can also see that, on most lists I've given her, she's called multiple times per person. Usually 2 to 3 attempts. It's hard for me to fathom that she's calling each person 3x and still getting a 1% ratio. That said, mojo also automatically puts in "disconnected number" and "busy signal", and there's definitely a small amount of those on every list - but nothing alarming.

I'm worried she might be placing the call, and immediately hitting "no contact" instead of letting the call ring out.

If they call times are all over the place then it's easy to believe you're getting inconsistent results. If you call young homeowners during the day they're usually at work; if you call seniors at night they're not as likely to pick up the phone. If you hang up after the phone rings twice, you have a really bad connect rate :)

I would pull the recordings at random. A 1% connect rate is SUPER low. I have literally hundreds of call centers that have used us and I've never heard that complaint. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but any extreme claims like that usually end up with more to the story than list quality.

Hi everyone!

Just curious to those who are experienced with telemarketing:
We hired a 1099 telemarketer a couple of months ago, and ever 2 weeks I run a report (using Mojo) to show me her contact ratio vs. minutes dialed.

Here's the results (so far):
02/01 to 02/14:
Dial time (hrs): 28.5hrs
Calls made: 1867
Contacts made: 194 = 10%

02/14 to 03/01:
Dial time (hrs): 24.9hrs
Calls made: 1794
Contacts made: 54 = 3%

03/01 to 03/14:
Dial time (hrs): 24.1hrs.
Calls made: 1932
Contacts made: 20 = 1%

:no:

Total "qualified" leads I've received so far? Only 12.
(Qualified = a prospect that is receptive to me quoting them, and follows through with the scheduled phone appointment)

The biggest thing that troubles me is the contact rate. I know she's pretty good on the phone, she uses a good script and has a nice tone.

Are these contact rates normal? I'm using ListShack - maybe my lists suck? I tried a small "aged leads" list of about 150 numbers in an attempt to reach more CELL phones, with no success. Although, too small of a sample size to know anything definitive.

Any advice from you rockstars out there?

It could be a number of things. Is she calling the same list multiple times a day? at the same time daily? does she give the list a rest, call another one? what is the age of clients? are they working or retired? etc.:twitchy:

I use mojo myself. I pay for 3 lines. I have 2-3 different lists I call, one even bought from Josh. I call anytime during the day (business hours because I call mostly small biz owners) and typically get the same results--hardly EVER do I get less than a 10% connect on any given day. If I went back and looked, I would say my average is around 13-15%. I also have it set to ring 4 times before moving to the next number.

Like someone else mentioned, you can pay extra to have mojo record/monitor. I think it is like $10 or $25 more a month so might be worth paying for it for one month, as they have no contract---change or cancel at anytime.

ListShack.com is our value product and does run a few percent less accurate than the retail side (AffordableMarketingLists.com). For the price difference ListShack wins most of the business by a landslide, but even on our retail side we're much more competitive if you price shop us with other standard list companies.

----------

If they call times are all over the place then it's easy to believe you're getting inconsistent results. If you call young homeowners during the day they're usually at work; if you call seniors at night they're not as likely to pick up the phone. If you hang up after the phone rings twice, you have a really bad connect rate :)

I would pull the recordings at random. A 1% connect rate is SUPER low. I have literally hundreds of call centers that have used us and I've never heard that complaint. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but any extreme claims like that usually end up with more to the story than list quality.

Thanks for the info. Since our lists aren't very targeted (we're simply using 'likely homeowners' in a '15 mile' radius between the ages of '30 and 55'), I think the amount of variables would yield SOME results regardless. If she's calling at all times of day, it shouldn't matter the specifics of the list - she should be yielding more results. I'm going to monitor her calls and go from there.

----------

I use mojo myself. I pay for 3 lines. I have 2-3 different lists I call, one even bought from Josh. I call anytime during the day (business hours because I call mostly small biz owners) and typically get the same results--hardly EVER do I get less than a 10% connect on any given day. If I went back and looked, I would say my average is around 13-15%. I also have it set to ring 4 times before moving to the next number.

Like someone else mentioned, you can pay extra to have mojo record/monitor. I think it is like $10 or $25 more a month so might be worth paying for it for one month, as they have no contract---change or cancel at anytime.

Good info. I've decided to pay the extra and monitor her calls.

Just letting everyone know that I'm back to square 1.

I talked to Mojo and they informed me that the telemarketer doesn't even HAVE the ability to hit 'no contact' UNTIL somebody picks up the line. Therefore, I'm left with the assumption that our lists just aren't any good.

She's made 5700 calls, and only had 269 people pickup. She calls randomly, sometimes 11-2, sometimes 1-3, sometimes 5-7. No results.

I'm close to giving up on our telemarketing campaign unless I can find a good source for quality lists.

Just updating everyone. Thanks for all the replies.

Back