Neighbors.whitepages.com

Well, to me, door knocking is creepy, which is why I don't do it, though I admire those who do.

Does anyone think for a second that I can't find out a lot about you on the net? You would be AMAZED at what information is freely available on just about anyone nowadays. And yes, it is really creepy when you start knowing just how little privacy you have left.

Dan

Back in 1968 I worked for the local bank. There was this book we bought every year.....wait for it.....it was called "The City Directory."

What is a city directory?

Before the modern phone book, many cities and towns published alphabetical directories of their residents. These publications contain lists of names and addresses of most adults and businesses in the town. They often contain the names of husband and wife, and in some cases even include references to spouses no longer living, such as "Brown, Ellen, widow of Samuel."

Most directories list a resident's occupation and employer as well. In such cases, one could map out the commutes for the employees of a particular establishment.

Those particular establishments were sales organizations. Good old fashion door knocking.

The more things change, they more they stay the same.

Well, to me, door knocking is creepy, which is why I don't do it, though I admire those who do.

Does anyone think for a second that I can't find out a lot about you on the net? You would be AMAZED at what information is freely available on just about anyone nowadays. And yes, it is really creepy when you start knowing just how little privacy you have left.

Dan

No, door knocking isn't creepy. People come around my neighborhood from Verizon, Comcast, etc...

When you're knocking on everyone's door it's simply door knocking. When you're knocking on someone's door and know their name you pulled off the net in order to sell insurance - that's creepy.

Oh, and it doesn't work.

So if they get your name off of your mailbox, its okay?
If they get it from the phone book, its okay?

Why is the net different than any other source?

Dan

Back in 1968 I worked for the local bank. There was this book we bought every year.....wait for it.....it was called "The City Directory."

Before the modern phone book, many cities and towns published alphabetical directories of their residents. These publications contain lists of names and addresses of most adults and businesses in the town. They often contain the names of husband and wife, and in some cases even include references to spouses no longer living, such as "Brown, Ellen, widow of Samuel."

Most directories list a resident's occupation and employer as well. In such cases, one could map out the commutes for the employees of a particular establishment.

Those particular establishments were sales organizations. Good old fashion door knocking.

In addition to the alphabetical listing, they also had a street listing which was essentially the same as whitepages . com's neighbors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No, door knocking isn't creepy. People come around my neighborhood from Verizon, Comcast, etc...

When you're knocking on everyone's door it's simply door knocking. When you're knocking on someone's door and know their name you pulled off the net in order to sell insurance - that's creepy.

Oh, and it doesn't work.

Johnny: It has worked quite successfully for years for experienced canvassers that are willing to cold call by knocking on doors. One of the most effective ways is once you get a person to the door that is willing to chat is to pull out the list and start asking that person if they know, "so and so" two houses down. In small towns and rural areas, the answer is almost always, "yes". You collect some basis information about the persona and then ask about another. Then when you knock on those doors, you say, "I was talking with Mr. Jones down the street and you name came up. I just wanted to stop, in introduce myself and see if the services I offer could be of benefit to you and your family.

You haven't said, "I got your information off the internet" and you haven't mislead the prospect.

This works even better if, armed with the street listing, you call back on current clients and ask about their neighbors.. Then you can tell the new prospect, "Mr. Jones found our services to be of benefit to him and his family, and I thought you might benefit from them also.. You be the sole judge... etc."

Louis

Last edited:
Rouse - I'm sure you're a great guy but teaching agents to lie isn't a proper business technique. "I was talking to Mrs. Jones and your name came up" is a lie. You might have agents drag vacuum cleaners with them with tired 1970's methods like that.

And you're gonna rely on some information site for that? So...

"I was down the street talking to Mrs Jones and your name came up."

"Well, that's odd since Mrs. Jones moved out 4 months ago."

Probably published by R.L. Polk.

Rouse - I'm sure you're a great guy but teaching agents to lie isn't a proper business technique. "I was talking to Mrs. Jones and your name came up" is a lie. You might have agents drag vacuum cleaners with them with tired 1970's methods like that.

You missed the first part.. I said you actually talked to Mrs. Jones... Mrs Jones was the person I was talking about when I said, "you get a person to the door that is willing to chat is to pull out the list and start asking that person if they know, "so and so" two houses down" When I tell the person, that I talked with Mrs. Jones, I actually have talked to him.

I would never tell someone that I a conversation with someone else and that their name came up, if it wasn't true. First of all, I don't lie to get into a house or to make a sale.. If you do, it will pop up to bite you every time just like the example you give.

It really isn't a 70s way of prospecting.. It was around long before any of us on the forum were born. it was done successfully in the 70s and still works today. It might not be high tech or "modern" enough for some but it works.

There are MDRT producers that use the same process prospecting for business insurance. They want to meet someone so they find somebody that knows them and ask about that person, hoping for a personal introduction or a referral. Failing that they still call and say, "I was speaking with a mutual acquaintance and your name came up....etc." It is the same no matter if you do it by telephone, door knocking, email or any other method.

Last edited:

You should read Rouse's post again. He said when he was talking to Ms. Jones, he would ask, "do you know so and so down the street?". Then when he gets to So and So's house, he would tell them that he was just at Ms. Jones house and their name came up.

Back